Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: aquinas Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/22/14 08:09 AM
As the title suggests, I'm hoping to poll my favourite minds for recommendations on good quality mystery books for DS2.25. He has a long attention span and an eye for detail in stories, and he's really starting to enjoy books with plot twists and discussing characters' motivations. We play games guessing what will happen next when we borrow new books from the library, and a favourite game is extrapolating a new story arc from contextual clues, but I think he'd really enjoy more of a challenge plot-wise!

Favourite authors are William Steig, Leo Lionni, and Robert Munsch. DS loves word play, riddles, and puzzles, so any picture books with these elements would also be a big hit in addition to mystery plots.

Thank you so much!
Posted By: Mana Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/22/14 09:29 AM
aquinas, I tried to get DD into a few mystery series but the only one she took to was Nate the Great. If you are experiencing a very snowy winter, this one might be a good place to start:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Snowy-M...ap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1393060286&sr=8-2

As for word play picture book, DD enjoyed this one around that age:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Putneys-Qu...&qid=1393060078&sr=8-5&keywords=jon+agee

She also loved David Wiesner's books when she was 2. She would stare and stare then would narrate the book for me. Mr. Wuffles! was an instant classic at our household. smile
Posted By: aquinas Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/22/14 04:52 PM
Thanks Mana. Those look perfect!
Posted By: ohmathmom Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/22/14 05:51 PM
You'll find a list of mystery books on pages 29-30 of this resource book which you can download for free.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/22/14 06:00 PM
Thanks ohmathmom!
Posted By: aquinas Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/22/14 08:23 PM
Mana, I just had a chance to look through the Mr. Putney book on amazon and it's exactly right.

In case anyone else is looking for similar material, we have a book by a Canadian author, Wallace Edwards, called "Mixed Beasts" which combines puns with animals and its a HUGE hit.
Posted By: Expat Mama Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/22/14 09:54 PM
I wonder if he would enjoy those 'choose your own adventure' books to read with you and discuss how the final outcomes change based on different choices he makes.
Posted By: intparent Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/22/14 10:06 PM
We have a picture book called "Bub or The Very Best Thing" by Natalie Babbitt that is really charming. It is about a very small prince and his parents searching for what is best for him.
Posted By: Mana Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/25/14 09:45 AM
I hope your DS wouldn't mind Jon Agee's rather peculiarly odd tone. I remember not being able to correctly guess a single name but I won't be surprised if your DS could. smile
Posted By: Jenna Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/25/14 11:41 AM
I remember the choose your own adventure books being really fun! 'Haven't seen them in years.
Posted By: Wesupportgifted Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/25/14 12:37 PM
Please check the Mensa for Kids website. I remember comparing it to the average Reading Olympics reading list that you might find in the library and the Mensa list did seem better geared to the advanced reader.

Also, find a librarian that you love in or around your area and pick their brain. They know all of the books hopefully old and new or the person in charge at your favorite book store.

There are big time readers out there you just have to hunt them down. Happy Reading! (My little one was a science buff at that age so we were not on top of the mystery genre.)
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/25/14 06:35 PM
A bit past the Mr. Putney thing, but you might keep Encyclopedia Brown in mind. An eye for detail is precisely what is needed, there. smile
Posted By: amylou Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/25/14 07:28 PM
Our kids were also Nate the Great fans. Cam Jansen was another popular series of chapter books in our house. There are tons of them, each a self contained mystery.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/25/14 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Nautigal
A bit past the Mr. Putney thing, but you might keep Encyclopedia Brown in mind. An eye for detail is precisely what is needed, there. smile

Super, thanks so much Nautigal! It's always good to have an ace up my sleeve for when I need it.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/25/14 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by amylou
Our kids were also Nate the Great fans. Cam Jansen was another popular series of chapter books in our house. There are tons of them, each a self contained mystery.

Much appreciated, amylou! It's going on the list! smile I love having a favourite go-to series that I can rely on for a hit with DS.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/25/14 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Expat Mama
I wonder if he would enjoy those 'choose your own adventure' books to read with you and discuss how the final outcomes change based on different choices he makes.

Great idea! I bet he'd love them! Thanks Expat Mama-- good suggestion.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/25/14 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by intparent
We have a picture book called "Bub or The Very Best Thing" by Natalie Babbitt that is really charming. It is about a very small prince and his parents searching for what is best for him.

I will definitely check this one out; it sounds charming! Thanks for the idea, intparent!
Posted By: aquinas Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/25/14 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mana
I hope your DS wouldn't mind Jon Agee's rather peculiarly odd tone. I remember not being able to correctly guess a single name but I won't be surprised if your DS could. smile

Mind? He lives with his mother, I'm about as odd as it gets! wink
Posted By: bluemagic Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/28/14 08:13 PM
I was looking at pictures of my son as a preschooler today and remembered how much my son LOVED BLues Clues, the Nick kids TV Show, when he was 2. I know it's not a book, but one of the things I loved about the series was that it had this "mystery" theme, ever episode was trying to figure something out using a set of "clues". At the time my son was this age (12 years ago) one could get books and workbooks. At about the time my son was growing out of it Nick dumbed down the show, so what I remembering being impressed by was the original show with Steve. I have no idea if it's even still on TV, but I'm sure one can still buy the DVD's.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/28/14 08:22 PM
That's a good idea bluemagic! I'll look around and see if I can find the early seasons. So grateful you shared your idea- thanks!

How did it feel to be able to reminisce about your son from 10 years ago? I imagine it feels surreal that he isn't still 2.
Posted By: bluemagic Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/28/14 08:26 PM
He turns 15 today..
Posted By: aquinas Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/28/14 08:32 PM
More than 10 years ago- I read too quickly!

Happy birthday to your DS!!
Posted By: KellyA Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/28/14 08:43 PM
Old episodes of Blue's Clues are available on Netflix-- you can still get some of the books on Amazon too. DD used to be into it when she was about 2!
Posted By: NotSoGifted Re: Mystery books for 2 year old - 02/28/14 08:51 PM
DD16 watched Blue's Clues from about 6 months on. Her first word was "clue" - guess I used the Great Babysitter a little too much.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum