Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Yeah-- the ASE internships are way better than their other offerings, which are grade-level locked. DD has enjoyed some of the programming, make no mistake, but it was hardly intellectually much to write home about.

If you have a chance, DEFINITELY look into that internship (ASE) program in particular. There are quite a few internships that have age restrictions associated, but mostly they are grade-based, so radical accelerants aren't shut out. They've had participants as young as 12 and 13.

We also got shut out of appropriate offerings with OSU's summer programs-- in spite of DD's grade designation, in fact, w/r/t the "gifted" summer camp. I have to say, it might be fine for MG kids, but 90th percentile and up groupings were so not going to work for my DD, either.

She did enjoy their (regular, not GT) robotics offerings, and had fun socializing in science camp when she was about 9-10yo, but after that it was increasingly clear that she'd outstripped the level of most offerings. She did some computer science, I think.

OMSI classes can be good, but I think that you'll find that many of them are pretty remedial at this point, too. The last one of those we did, my DD 9 wound up talking to the instructor about special adaptations in the squid eye. blush She was fairly uninterested in the standard spiel, though she was a year or two younger than anyone else at that table.

If you're willing to drive a bit, the Hatfield Marine Science center and Oregon Coast Aquarium both have great programs-- both do homeschool days that have a variety of flexible levels of instruction, and there is also a youth volunteer program at the aquarium-- we know that they WILL take younger teens, since one of my DD's HG friends is doing it now, and he only turned 15 last summer.

We're with the latter of the two virtual schools here. It's somewhat better than the former for GT programming and flexible differentiation strategies... that's not to say that I think it is "good" by any means. As you've discovered, youth program organizers are VERY wise to the TigerParenting culture here in the Si Forest, and they have hard firewalls re: grade levels in program admissions. Ergo, we need that grade level to reflect ability enough so that DD has the access to what she needs in extracurriculars. Not ideal, but it's the least-worst situation for us.

That meant a +3 skip and judiciously searching out programs that are pretty high level for the grade range. So far that has worked out pretty well.

It's the best we can do-- we're realistically just out of range of routinely doing the PDX thing for educational opportunities, though OSU and U of O are both within reach.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    :nodding:

In STEM early college programs, the two that we looked very hard at were at Texas (UNT in Denton), and in Seattle (UW). Both have the advantage of being wide, wide open insofar as the considerations that CFK lists. Those are really important, and even moreso if your child isn't ready to "choose" one thing at age 13 (14/15/16) when they begin college formally.

It's the major reason we went with a flagship state school, ultimately-- there were small liberal arts colleges that looked great, but wouldn't have had the high-level research opportunities... and there were undergrad STEM powerhouses, but they would have lacked some of the humanities elements.

A full-service Uni seemed the best solution.

Dual enrollment programs through the public schools in our state are an amazing bargain. Ours in particular, we pay a one-time $25 fee to the community college, and she can take as many courses as are offered through the local high school-- free of any additional charge (yes really). DD didn't know about the program sooner, or she could have done it already with three other classes, but she's got 3 other dual enrollment classes this year-- two in math, and one in English.

The two programs that I know about (because we looked at them, and also because I know some people with kids in one or the other, either now or in the past):

https://tams.unt.edu/

https://robinsoncenter.uw.edu/programs/

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 02/13/14 06:10 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    Ivy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thank you, thank you, thank you all!

This is really great information and has got me thinking in very different and productive directions.

HowlerKarma, you are absolutely right about the parenting culture here and about the challenges it brings. Her classes at the homeschool school help, but it's not quite the same as having a cohort grade level. And as for the community college tuition issue, AFAIK (and please correct me if I'm wrong) she needs to be enrolled in a district high school. Which makes me think that one of the virtual academies might be the thing to do as she gets closer to that.

puffin, you've got it in one! Change is the only constant.

CFK, my daughter has wanted to be a Veterinarian since she was 20 months old and her favorite show was Animal Planet's Emergency Vets. She told me then she wanted to be a "boo boo animal doctor" and that hasn't changed. In that case, pre-vet would be followed by vet school and she would be an adult by the time she entered the workforce. I expect she won't be ready for university work (as opposed to community college dual enrollment) until closer to 13 or 14. College is also a really expensive way to "find yourself" so if she was less certain or becomes less certain (she's still so young!), I'd be more focused on alternate educational experiences before university (study abroad, volunteering, internship, etc.).

To those who wisely pointed out that the importance of knowing her goals, this came up in conversation last night. It turns out that what she's really hoping for are intellectual peers. She sees Mary Baldwin as a way to make friends and be close to girls her own age who are more like her. Which is sad and sweet at the same time.

But there are ways this need can potentially be met now, through certain academic camps perhaps, which will help her get what she needs and perhaps evaluate college options more clearly.

Thank you again. I was just talking today with someone in the same boat who's child is a few years younger. They were appreciative of the perspective of someone who was a bit farther along on the path. I feel the same way about this thread. smile

I
    Ivy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hi Everyone. I thought it would be useful to give a quick update on one thing I mentioned in my original email. I went to talk to the head of my daughter's school (the brick and mortar school for homeschoolers) and she was super understanding and helpful. She had a clear understanding of where my daughter is intellectually, seemed to know about her classes and performance/maturity, and immediately understood what I was there for. She looked at my daughter and said "you need to keep that brain working and busy."

So the gist is that:
    a) DD can take classes above her age level that aren't marked "no exception"
    b) DD can take classes above her age level marked "no exception" with special permission (and not all those classes ARE appropriate for a younger audience, so I completely understand this restriction)
    c) When she is closer to 13, the director will offer a personal introduction to the early admission director at our local community college. She suggested that DD apply even before she turns 13 so that she can take a spring class that would start right around her birthday (she thought a lab science would be a nice first choice).

In addition she pointed us to EPGY as a source for online learning that she indicated offers more instructional support and online interaction and mentioned summer programs (which we are already looking into). Once the spring term catalog comes out, I can send a list of the classes DD is interested in picking up for the rest of the year (a nice chewy history class probably).

So I am hugely relieved and impressed. I mean, it's one thing to run a super flexible school, it's another to step outside the already very flexible guidelines to accommodate someone who needs it. Such a difference from the public schools!

I know they have age limits for a good reason that has to do with the parenting culture around these parts as much the kids themselves. My daughter has seen classes she was excited about get simplified (my daughter used the term "dumbed down" though I don't think that's fair) because there were more kids on the young end of the scale in the class.

So DD is happy about that (though she's still lonely -- which is a different problem to solve).

Again, if there's anyone in the PDX / Beaverton area who's interested in more detail on the school, PM me. Expect me to ask your children's ages though since I'm on the hunt for possible social connections. ;-)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM