Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    MomC #181126 01/31/14 02:49 PM
    M
    MomC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks for the information. I'll explore the Duke Talent Search and Belin Blank.

MomC #181233 02/02/14 11:29 AM
    Q
    Q
    Although most of the talent searches are "regional" sometimes the territories are not obvious. We have used both Carnegie Mellon University (C-Mites) and Iowa University (Belin-Blank Center). C-Mites was one of the few who would test 3rd graders and provides norms for 3rd graders. Belin-Blank has one of the best detailed reports in addition to the standard Explore report provided by the ACT company. You already missed the fall administration (available in only a few places) and you are most likely too late for the winter administration (January and February). Fortunately, some of the talent searches have added a May adminstration.

I considered doing a "privately proctored" Explore for 3rd grade to avoid the travel time. However, I had trouble getting a prompt response from Belin-Blank. I also think that they cannot release the test for private proctoring until after the official administrations. I am not sure what the situation is now that some of the talent searches actually allow a May administration. Anyhow, I am not sure that a privately proctored Explore adminstrated after the official test dates will be accepted as offical by DYS or other authorities as is. You might want to check first. The test is normed against Fall 8th graders and the talent searches also provide norms for Winter (January & February) 3rd to 6th graders. The scores would definitely be useful for comparision purposes regardless but you would have to adjust the comparision. For example, I think there is a significant difference between end of second quarter (winter) and end of 4th quarter (May/June)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM