Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I asked DD9 last night what has been her favorite book as of late and she told me Inkheart and the follow up books to it (Inkspell & Inkdeath), so another vote for those. These books are 5th grade level, but they are pretty thick books.

I, myself, enjoyed the Golden Compass (Dark Materials) series, but I don't think DD9 has read those yet. I remember thinking she would probably like that series because she read one of the Familiars books by Adam Jay Epstein and wanted to constantly discuss with me the familiars themselves and what they could do. The Familiars books are 6th grade level.

Benedict Society (mentioned by Nautigal) is already on our short list and so is The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series.

Last edited by 1frugalmom; 01/30/14 08:31 AM. Reason: clarity
    U
    U
    Septimus Heap
    Eragon
    The Blue Sword, The Hero and the Crown
    The Emerald Atlas
    The Books of Elsewhere
    Diana Wynne Jones's books
    The Phoenix and The Carpet (this is a series)
    Neil Gaiman's children's books

Note--I have not checked reading levels on these, but I think they're in the ballpark. DD has read most of these or has them on ther list.

N
    N
    Ahh, yes, definitely Inkheart, etc. -- although I have only read the first one, and got sidetracked on other things before getting to the rest.

Do they read Where the Red Fern Grows at your school? When I was in school, it was a 4th grade tradition, and in my kids' school it's a 5th grade tradition. It's very sad at the end, though -- our 5th grade teacher has to bring someone else in to read the last bit because it makes him cry too much.

There are other old standbys -- Island of the Blue Dolphins, the Black Stallion books, etc.

Giving this thread a well deserved bump

Thanks for the tip on Artemis Fowl my DD loved it! Got to get more now - looks as though Disney are starting a movie too.

The Miss Peregrine ones are next up on the 'tasting menu' for DD, she is staring Ender's Game now which I hope she will like.

The 'mocking jay' trilogy (hunger games) also had her and her friends' attention for a while.

Become what you are
    N
    N
    They're starting movies of Artemis Fowl? Awesome! There's eight more books I can make my son read before going to the movies. laugh

Err...yes, it's actually me who reads all those things I recommended.... A middle-grade book is one of the things I'm writing, so *ahem* "it's research". smile

P
    P
    It would be hard to not love Ender's Game it is great as is the rest of the series.
    DD just read "A Tale Dark and Grimm" and loved probably 5th ish grade. Not sure if it is on the AR list though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM