Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I've struggled a bit with DD's frequently expressed goal to be a teacher. I think teaching is certainly a noble profession, but an embattled and hard one. She is probably simply looking up to the teachers in her life. I don't really want to say anything against it to her at this age, though I've pointed out that many jobs involve some kind of teaching and that one can be a professor as well as an elementary school teacher (which is what she means).
    Nowadays lots of the teachers at colleges are adjuncts, not tenure-track professors, and almost any white collar job, including teaching in the public schools, offers better pay, benefits, and security than being an adjunct. No one earns a PhD dreaming of being an adjunct, but that's what many would-be professors end up doing.

M
    M
    Ds 6.5 wants to be a pediatric physician of some sort, Also a policeman to keep people safe, and a Dad.

Ds 3.5 wants to be a vet at a zoo.

It will be interesting to watch and see how their ideas change/ develop as they get older.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Man, I want to be a pirate. Life is so unfair. laugh

Well, there are still places where it's an option, although global warming is taking care of that. laugh

M
    M
    Originally Posted by NCPMom
    At 10, my son has big dreams - he wants to be a professional soccer player, playing in the Premier League in England wink He does know that probably won't happen (he's a great player, plays up a year, with kids who are now turning 12, so we can dream). wink Yesterday we were talking about how his soccer coach is already talking about getting the kids seen by college recruiters, and how it's pretty clear that some of the parents are, indeed, hoping their sons will get soccer scholarships. Yikes - so young! My son said that if his soccer career doesn't work out, he'd like to be a teacher - something he's never mentioned before. I asked why ? He said that when he's finished with his math in 5th grade, he helps the other kids out, explaining stuff to them - and he really enjoys that !
    smile (I should also mention that he does go to 6th grade in Middle school for math, so I don't have a problem with him spending time helping in 5th grade). I realise that he will change his mind many many times over what he wants to be, but I do like that he thinks being a teacher is cool smile Much better than the politician that his teacher suggested he might be last time we spoke ! wink

Oh, I wish our sons could meet one another! My son also wants to be a pro footballer and play for his favorite EPL team. Or else be a pro tennis player- right now he is still conflicted between the 2.

In the, um, *unlikely* event those don't work out, he wants to be a scientist, mathematician, or perhaps a doctor. It's probably one of the most interesting parts of being a parent, seeing where our children end up as adults.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    ElizabethN, my DH is a well-respected research materials scientist at a Fortune 25 Tech company. wink I have a broader background even than that, having done everything from in vivo electro-analytical chemistry and neuroanatomy to environmental biophysics and elemental analysis, structure-activity modeling, and natural products isolation. She kind of grew up trailing me in the lab, so she has seen cardiac pharmacology, tissue culture, molecular biology, and natural products isolation up close and personal. Oh, and x-ray diffraction and surface methods, following dad. She's been reading dad's C&E News and other trade mags since she was about eight. Immersion environment, basically. LOL.

She's reluctant to enter one of the physical sciences because she feels that is just "doing what mom and dad do." Adolescent rebellion, basically.

We also feel that one of the cross-disciplinary sciences (as opposed to their engineering brethren) is likely to be a better fit for her in the long run because of the polymath issue. The alternative is to do something that pays well enough to support a LOT of intense hobbies.

This is the side of being a polymath that is VERY hard. I realize that comes off as smug and whiny in some places, which is why I only say it here-- but DD is truly struggling with not being able to do EVERYTHING on her interest list. Oh, and write the great American novel in her free time while she moonlights with a jazz trio on her free evenings.

I think that's a problem more gifted and bright children struggle with than we realize, so I think it's great that your daughter has such wonderful support from her parents. It also shows that, when learning is fun, engaging, and challenging, ANY subject can fascinate children and push them forward. But then also create a problem because when everything is fascinating, why would we want to limit ourselves to only one topic? smile

Last edited by MonetFan; 01/31/14 10:43 AM.
    S
    S
    DD6 has wanted to be an Imagineer for Disneyland for a few years and will not tolerate speculation about any other career (say, one using her immense verbal skills, though hey communication is key right). But she does say now that she'll do that for a while, and then do computer engineering (programming) from home like Daddy (he goes to the office mostly now) while she has babies, and then she'll see. I could see her engineering stage shows or starring in them at this point wink

S
    S
    And yes as bad as teaching has gotten (it's my profession), I'm grateful I opted against going for teaching at the college level, which is even worse now frown DD would probably be a great English professor but I'm wary of that field.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by St. Margaret
    DD6 has wanted to be an Imagineer for Disneyland for a few years and will not tolerate speculation about any other career (say, one using her immense verbal skills, though hey communication is key right). But she does say now that she'll do that for a while, and then do computer engineering (programming) from home like Daddy (he goes to the office mostly now) while she has babies, and then she'll see. I could see her engineering stage shows or starring in them at this point wink
    LOL.. Working from home while you have babies sounds so perfect, doesn't it. For the me, that reality didn't really work that great. I was usually so glad to leave the babies with a great babysitter & go to work so I could concentrate. To program I really need hours of uninterrupted concentration time.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM