Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Yes. They choose popular children who are socially gregarious and extroverted, often strongly so, and generally those who are good athletes as well as moderately good (and highly compliant) teacher-pleaser students. It seems that these children are generally chosen from the 80th-95th percentile ranks in terms of classroom performance.

I've seldom seen the 2e kids, the dreamy ones, the introverts with all of the answers, or the prickly children get chosen this way. No matter how much they have to offer.

Yup.

I feel fortunate that DD is in classes with a bunch of other square gifted pegs, so she doesn't stand out as much as she would as prickly/tricky/difficult. But except for those few adults who really enjoy her (they do exist), she will miss out on the teacher perks.

OTOH, DS is frankly a teacher and staff favorite. He is athletic, and a natural "clown" and dancer (DD has no rhythm and is rather awkward, though she now is okay athletically, though not good). They give him good behavior tickets for breathing. MY DAUGHTER NOTICES THIS. It is no help to her or to their relationship. Eventually it will be no help to him, either.

Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    But really, people. Be adults. Get over it. Fix it and move on.

Uh, so yeah. This is exactly why I'm not a boss.

ha - and THIS is probably why you would make a fantastic one!

I agree.

My pet theory on politics is we're doing it wrong when we allow people who want a given job to pursue it. Wanting it should be the first disqualifier. We should be selecting people who don't want it, and then foisting it on them.

If you want it, you're likely seeing it as an opportunity. If you don't, you're likely seeing it as a responsibility.

Exactly, Dude.

I have taken on leadership positions (repeatedly) in my life solely because if I didn't do it, the person who wanted to would have had a clear field... and it would have been a disaster of epic proportions.

DD's run for office was engendered by the exact same considerations. She won, and the loser promptly vanished. No skin in the game, apparently, for that type if they aren't "heading" whatever it is. {sigh} They're all about the prestige and perks, and not at all about the job and serving those you're "governing/leading."

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Yes. They choose popular children who are socially gregarious and extroverted, often strongly so, and generally those who are good athletes as well as moderately good (and highly compliant) teacher-pleaser students. It seems that these children are generally chosen from the 80th-95th percentile ranks in terms of classroom performance.

I've seldom seen the 2e kids, the dreamy ones, the introverts with all of the answers, or the prickly children get chosen this way. No matter how much they have to offer.

Yup.

I feel fortunate that DD is in classes with a bunch of other square gifted pegs, so she doesn't stand out as much as she would as prickly/tricky/difficult. But except for those few adults who really enjoy her (they do exist), she will miss out on the teacher perks.

OTOH, DS is frankly a teacher and staff favorite. He is athletic, and a natural "clown" and dancer (DD has no rhythm and is rather awkward, though she now is okay athletically, though not good). They give him good behavior tickets for breathing. MY DAUGHTER NOTICES THIS. It is no help to her or to their relationship. Eventually it will be no help to him, either.

Ultramarina, my first two kids are likely to fall well into the ranks of dreamy, quirky, introverted kids who don't get picked for things... Little miss 3yrs old though - will be like your son, she's a teacher's wet dream... We've commented more than once that she's going to rule the world one day.

Last edited by MumOfThree; 01/29/14 04:31 PM.
    N
    N
    I think DS is likely to hold elected office in high school -- he's already been VP of student council in middle school. But it comes hard for him, and he'd far rather be dictator instead. I have no idea where the drive to be elected to things comes from, in him -- I wouldn't have guessed it.

Now, whether he can hang onto the office after he gets it, that's the question. laugh

S
    S
    Yes, DS7 is a natural leader. He can relate to anyone and can lead any group of kids - even kids who are a good bit older than him. He is funny and charming and finds almost no social situation intimidating. He organizes kids in the playground and resolves disputes among warring factions. Everyone listens to his recommdations and rulings.

That said, I don't know if he would actually want to run for office in HS. I think he wants to do his thing and lead others when the situation presents itself.

Q
    Q
    Interesting question. I think that the qualities that make a child a "leader" actually changes with the age of the child and also varies somewhat by the culture inherent in the particular environment.

Personally, while it really is way too early to tell, I don't beieve my children will be leaders as grown-ups - not the right mix of character traits. As for high school, at age 10, I think it's also a bit early to tell. However, I can actually see DS holding office in high school as he has been fascinated by American politics and there have been situations where he has been roped into (not always happily) being the leader, either by the teacher or his peers.

Interestingly, the most recent report card extolled DD's leadership qualities. Her easy-going personality was one of the several attributing factors noted. In contrast, I have always felt that while her easy-going personality makes her likeable and popular, it also detracted from her leadership ability.

Perhaps it is the unusual situation of having twins in the same classes, but teachers seem to alternately find one twin or the other as a "leader". I have been told (though not in such negative terms) that DD rides on the coattail of DS' popularity one year and then DS depends on DD, who takes DS in hand socially the next year. The truth is properly somewhere in between and that they go through different phases.

I
    I
    ...not the right mix of character traits...
    This reminded me of recently reading this online article http://www.chicagonow.com/daily-bee...kids-myers-briggs-dont-like-the-results/

Well, and really-- Myers-Briggs isn't really all that to begin with. {sigh} There is surprisingly little actual validation behind it.

http://www.psychometric-success.com/personality-tests/personality-tests-popular-tests.htm

http://skepdic.com/myersb.html

http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyle...rsonality-test-embraced-by-employers-not

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4221

Still I suppose it does give HR employees something to do all day... wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Q
    Q
    LOL. I almost thought it was a joke, then reread it again. I would never bother giving my children this "test" much less try to reshape their personalities.

My judgment was based on observations - such as how put out DS was when he was unanimously chosen as team leader for an extracurricular last year. He didn't want to have to "hold hands" or resolve squabbles or have to be responsible for achieving consensus.

Interesting, DS & DD combined would make a heck of a good leader.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 02/05/14 12:54 PM.
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM