Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Let's not forget that for some states, Common Core is a step down. I believe Connecticut is one of these states, but I could be wrong. Virginia declined to participate because they believe their standards are already higher. My state is definitely lowering its standards for common core.

My state (MN) adopted language arts but not math, saying the state's standards are already higher than common core. You wouldn't guess it by looking at my kids' math though!

I wonder if there is any data anywhere showing which states have the best performance in math/reading. So how does MN compare for math with its own standards, which they say are already higher than Common Core?

I wonder if there is any data anywhere showing which states have the best performance in math/reading.

PSAT statistics probably come closest to this, because there is no superscoring or anything to muddy the waters.

Take a look at what the "cut" scores are-- but unfortunately, they aren't parsed into verbal versus math-- it's a composite value.

Still--- if you look at just Massachusetts and Mississippi, you can see that there is quite a spread of expectations and performance by the time kids reach high school.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    ... I ran across this criticism of this movement courtesy of a rather annoyed Arne Duncan, and frankly, I laughed out loud.

Arne Duncan: White Suburban Moms upset that Common Core shows their kids aren't brilliant.

U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan told a group of state schools superintendents Friday that he found it “fascinating” that some of the opposition to the Common Core State Standards has come from “white suburban moms who — all of a sudden — their child isn’t as brilliant as they thought they were, and their school isn’t quite as good as they thought they were.”
    cool Yes, yes, yes.

Criticism about the implementation is one thing. But most of these parents ranting and raving about Common Core are just mad that their precious snowflakes don't look so good now that actual standards are involved...
    As I understand it, the precipitating event was NY parents calling out the system on the mis-match of the test and the curriculum being taught. You may have recently shared a similar concern of toxic educational practices regarding curriculum which doesn't seem to support the content that is evaluated by assessments?

In NY, Spring 2013 standardized testing was that for Common Core, while students were being taught with unrelated curriculum and content. Some have said the Common Core standardized tests were not more rigorous per se, just different, and may have made an example of how poorly students (as well as their teachers, schools, districts, and States) will fare if they do not follow Common Core and "teach to the test".

Meanwhile on the Official Blog of the U.S. Department of Education, "Homeroom", Arne Duncan issued a bit of an apology for his earlier statements, calling it "some clumsy phrasing that I regret... I singled out one group of parents". (link- http://www.ed.gov/blog/2013/11/high-standards-for-all-schools-and-students-everywhere)

Having read the transcript, I couldn't get this old movie quote out of my head, especially the second sentence:

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

It's bad enough he's conflating CCSS with test-based teacher evaluations, but I'm pretty sure the I saw the Founding Fathers turning in their graves when he implied that the Department of Education should be voting on things.

In that regard, he's accidentally highlighting a problem predating Common Core, where only 24% of high school seniors scored at "proficient" or above in civics: story

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Could someone please explain why this video exists?
    It is my understanding this video exists because the 1st amendment to the Constitution of the USA protects each individual's right to free speech. (link- http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript.html) In this video, high school senior Ethan Young is exercising his right to free speech in addressing his local school board. This is a form of educational advocacy. He posted his video to youtube and it has been further distributed by others. (link-
    )

Meanwhile some would limit free speech, citing requisite discussion of faction in Madison's Federalist #10, as described in the following Common Core link - http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/RH/11-12)

Hilarious, but you cannot possibly think that answers my question.
    That is a fairly comprehensive explanation as to why this video exists. What aspects remain unaddressed? What further explanation do you require? If you could be more specific in your request, that may help in tailoring an answer which may best meet your needs. Or perhaps your question was rhetorical? ...facetious? Might that be why you find the answer provided to be hilarious... possibly you are mocking? Nonetheless, the answer provides a foundational background as to free speech and educational advocacy.

Let me give an analogy. If I saw a video of a student giving an impassioned plea to the school board to not teach evolution because it will turn all the kids into bank robbers and serial killers, then I might ask "why does this video exist?"

I wouldn't be looking for an answer like "because its existence is not precluded by the laws of physics".

Maybe I should ask, in whose agenda is this student a pawn, and why?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Dude
    ... conflating CCSS with test-based teacher evaluations...
    This may be... and yet according to the FAQ on the Common Core website, "common assessments that will be aligned to the standards and replace existing end of year state assessments. These assessments will be available in the 2014-2015 school year."

It was my understanding (and I may wrong) that these new assessments may be used for more than gauging student readiness for career/college... but may also be used to evaluate teacher efficacy?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I wonder if there is any data anywhere showing which states have the best performance in math/reading.

PSAT statistics probably come closest to this, because there is no superscoring or anything to muddy the waters.

Take a look at what the "cut" scores are-- but unfortunately, they aren't parsed into verbal versus math-- it's a composite value.

Still--- if you look at just Massachusetts and Mississippi, you can see that there is quite a spread of expectations and performance by the time kids reach high school.

I know I saw somewhere data at one point showing MN and Massachusets (and a couple other states) to be the highest performers. I'll look for it again. An international math test? With any test, it would have to be controlled for race, socioeconomic status, etc. to get a true picture of how the curriculum is working. States with a large percentage of high income white people (or Asians?) will do best.
    My brother says that everyone in TX in his kids' school finds the standardized tests to be extremely easy. He was shocked when I told him that something like 40 percent of kids aren't considered proficient in math here. Well, the test is harder. So let's say we wanted to move to a different state. How do we figure out what schools or districts would be comparable to our own? We can't, because the state tests are completely different.

Found it! You can click on states and get scores.

Last edited by blackcat; 11/19/13 12:51 PM.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

+ other stuff Dude wrote.

Snort!

+1.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Maybe I should ask, in whose agenda is this student a pawn, and why?

This was precisely the question I asked myself.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    I know I saw somewhere data at one point showing MN and Massachusets (and a couple other states) to be the highest performers.

Yes, but...you also have to consider the test. A lot of these tests are watered down. For example, look at these sample questions from Massachusetts (grade 4). Question 1 is at the level of 2nd or 3rd grade. And COPYING (not plotting) a number line (question 3)? And adding labels, which proves that students recognize that 51 1/2 in a table is the same as 51 1/2 on a number line? The hardest part of that one is a basic subtraction problem in part c. That's just ridiculous.

Alternatively, I've dug reasonably deep into the K-8 CC math standards and find them to be on solid mathematical ground. Fourth grade students learn to plot fractions and equivalent fractions on number lines. They add and subtract fractions and use a number line to see how things fit together. They begin the rudiments of proofs in mathematics.

Everything is explained in a mathematically correct way. It all builds logically. There is no memorization of algorithms.

Last edited by Val; 11/19/13 01:03 PM. Reason: More detail added
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs