Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 358 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Ugh! I can see how elementary school grading is going to drive me crazy! I grew up with scale 1-5 with 1 being the best and 5 failing and the grades always reflected nothing but real knowledge and work put into the assignments and then we had a separate grade for behavior. Even as a Kindergarten student or 1st grader I would have serious problems coping with not getting the grade I thought I deserved.

C
    C
    Our elementary used the same system polarbear describes; no one got a 4 until the end of the year because the system measured the curriculum for the entire year, and "some concepts had not yet been introduced, so could not yet be assessed."

Also, like polarbear's experience, the report cards had nothing to do with what was actually going on work-wise in the classroom. We basically ignored them through all of elementary. We used to consider them tools for the benefit of record keeping, necessary for the teachers and school but of no practical use to us.

And yes, it is a huge relief to get to the point in school where they are evaluated on the work they actually do.

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    so much for hoping I could use the report card (and some issues that have been popping up) to push for testing and some differentiation. frown

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    DS must had really impressed the music teacher since she gave him a 4! smile

K
    K
    Good for you. I'd love to hear how they respond to that.

K
    K
    How frustrating. I remember not really paying too much attention until 3rd grade when a letter and a percentage was given.
    I love the idea that somewhereonearth had to tell the school report cards won't be needed.

Last edited by KADmom; 11/17/13 06:44 PM.
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I think that many times teachers in elementary school aren't grading kids against fixed standards (even though they are supposed to be) but that they are actually grading kids against themselves. So if something is a relative weakness for a kid who is actually above grade level in all subjects including the weakness, it will get graded down. I also believe (and have some experience/evidence to back this up) that they will grade a kid who is obviously *below* grade level in all subjects *up* if a particular area is a strength or if progress is being made.

Last edited by Kai; 11/17/13 06:49 PM.
    M
    M
    The little ones who get straight As on their report card tends to be the favorite student type who are compliant enough to spill out what their teacher wants to hear/see and have that bubbly & sweet personality. My DD who tends to annoy adults by marching to the beat of her own drum probably won't have too many 4s on her report card during her early years.

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    DS is pretty sweet and "lovable" as many describe him most of the time too. He's annoyingly talkative but has a sweet way of going about it. The teacher is very nice too but I do get a feeling that she sees all the kids as equal. It's definitely about helping those behind while those who're at level are just fine frown

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I have to admit though that I don't give a hoot about them scoring DS low on their scale for "self control" and "knowing when to speak" and in all the other "lets raise sheep that follow" categories. What they consider a weakness is what really drives his thirst for learning. He doesn't act out ... he's asking for more information. Yet another reason why I think homeschooling for now will be a better choice. His self control and behavior is just fine when he's at home or out in public with us, his parents. But I have been to his class once and had a chance to see how easily lost he gets in there and feels the need to talk and ask more questions because we keep telling him that he goes to school to LEARN.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM