Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Is there really any point in having him try SCAT in Grade 2?
    Our son's getting a good score on the SCAT in grade 2 encouraged us to think he would be ready for the EXPLORE in grade 3, and his good score on that suggested taking the SAT in grade 4, where he did very well on the math.

We'd probably have him try EXPLORE in grade 3 regardless (then wait and see for SAT in grade 4), so I don't feel we really need the SCAT in grade 2 result to make a decision. On the other hand it's not much time, effort or money to take SCAT so my real question is would he be missing anything much by not taking it.

Another question is, he'll be fine with the level of math in EXPLORE when he's in grade 3 (it's grade 8, right) but he won't be near that level in other subjects. He'll be fine with the math level, but he'll be out of his depth in other subjects. How is it for little math whizzes to take these above level multi-subject tests when the other subjects could be a write-off?

C
    C
    My ds took the SCAT in 6th grade. He was able to take it in a Prometric Testing Center, which had lots of cubbies and was pretty quiet (Prometric, here anyway, is mostly for things like professional licensing exams, so the crowd is pretty tame, age 18+ and serious).

We found NO commercial SCAT prep materials. To my mind, the big task was just to get him comfortable with the instructions and the expectations of the test. So we sat down and went through the CTY samples. Then I wrote a couple of additional problems based on the CTY samples, just so he could feel comfortable with the process.

Other than that, you could do vocabulary prep, since the verbal is all analogies (as I recall). We did not do anything like that. The math is quirkier; not sure there's any way to prep beyond understanding the instructions.

22B Offline
    What's the motivation for taking SCAT?

C
    C
    To answer 22B's question: our motivation was that it is the entry point for CTY's summer programs and year-round courses. The SCAT score determines what kinds of courses the child can take.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by CTmom
    To answer 22B's question: our motivation was that it is the entry point for CTY's summer programs and year-round courses. The SCAT score determines what kinds of courses the child can take.

Thanks. That wouldn't be a reason for us. I guess I'm not seeing a strong reason for it. I think we'll wait for EXPLORE in grade 3 instead.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM