Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Emerson Wong), 90 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Just for the record - I opened Scratch the first day on both the boy's laptops. And I left them to it. I really wanted to see how they would figure it out etc.

Aiden (6) dove straight in and was making the cat move and dance and change colours within minutes.

Nathan (who turned 5 on 1st November) couldn't figure it out. smile

It was an interesting little experiment (all hail my little lab rats lol)

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    C
    C
    Thanks for the info, Zen. That is exactly the kind of information that I needed.

I want to start her on programming first. I think Minecraft will be on the list for summertime.

M
    M
    My son likes the code writing more than the gaming aspect of many of those programs so he uses codea and loves it. His progression was scratch--cargobot--codea and that seemed to be a good logical progression.

M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by mykids
    My son likes the code writing more than the gaming aspect of many of those programs so he uses codea and loves it. His progression was scratch--cargobot--codea and that seemed to be a good logical progression.

*saving this tidbit for future use!!* Thank you smile

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    Don't know much about Scratch but both DS10 and DD10 are into Minecraft although in different ways unless they are playing each other. DD is more into designing (skins, etc.) and likes it when strangers download her designs. DS is more into strategies (hence, all those youtube videos) and battles. I had to pay twice for the PC version so they would each have an account. The Pocket Edition for Kindle is nice as well and I only had to pay once since their Kindles are on the same account so all the software in the library can be shared.

I am very comfortable with un-monitored access to Minecraft at DS/DD's age and a couple of years younger but I would have been hesitant about introducing it to a four-year-old due to addictiveness/self-control issues.

Oh crap... my 4 1/2 year old has been playing minecraft on his computer for about a year now. I have worried that it isn't good for him. However, he does not like to play alone too much. He does seem amazing at it - my older DS keeps admiring younger Ds's "mincraft giftedness." LOL I have to admit this little guy builds spectacular things on it but I have no computer interest or abilities and no experience (or interest in) minecraft so I don't really appreciate his creations or apparent abilities. Incidentally, this kid is really good at all kinds of puzzles (well above his age-level) tangrams, block puzzles, etc. I suspect he is very visio-spatial. But I do hope it's not harming harming him somehow!

I
    I
    DS loves to watch youtube videos also to get ideas. He turns off the sound if her hears any "bad words" LOL

Q
    Q
    Don't mean to cause unnecessary concern! You know your kid best. I think it is actually child dependent as well. As long as the amount of time is not unreasonable and Minecraft is not interfering with other developments, harm is unlikely. I severely limited computer time until DS turned 8 because he would have spent too much time otherwise. He has decent self-control and reasonable judgment now so I can trust him to monitor himself mostly. For him, not having that computer access early on helped nurture a love/habit of constant reading and helped develop a practice of ceative play.

B
    B
    My DS was also very into Minecraft since he was about 3. Since he was delayed due to his dyspraxia, it seemed so odd to see a toddler who could barely speak zipping around on the site like it was nothing, building logical buildings, etc. I often wonder if his high PR score comes from Minecraft, or if he plays Minecraft because of his PR ability.
    At six, he is still obsessed with it (and builds amazing things--the latest is some sort of operating mill), so I decided that he needs to "earn" screen time. He begs me to give him homework so that he can earn some more screen time.

I think Minecraft actually taught DS how to read. He was so obsessed with it that he was bound and determined to figure out what the names of all the materials were. He also started constructing signs by the time he turned 4, that said things like "GoThisWay". So there is a lot of educational value in it.

A
    A
    Even in this age Minecraft has been giving me a great entertainment, it is not an option only for youngsters smile

I
    I
    Along these lines, I have a question for y'all. I am looking at those summer tech camps for my DS8 and they are so expensive I can only have him do one of them. The options are (1) Adventures in Programming with Scratch; (2) Adeventures in Robotics: LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Education EV3 Base Set and Software; (3) Adventures in Game Design Minecraft.

DS likes them all but wants primarily to do the minecraft one but since we can only do one I was thinking he should do one of the other two since he plays minecraft all of the time. Any one have any advice on which one to have him do? Should I just let him do the minecraft one (do you think he will learn new things?)? Or shoud he do robotics (no experience with that yet) or Scratch?

Thanks for any insight/advice/thoughts!

Last edited by Irena; 11/14/13 11:28 AM.
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM