Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #170317 10/05/13 08:55 PM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    So DS6 has had his evaluation. We don't have a full report but the gist is that we have our work cut out for us.

As it stands, his GAI is just a couple of points off from DYS level but hopefully with the extended norms on the ceilings it will get there. A free consultant would be nice but honestly given all the other issues, I am not sure it would help much. Plus we'd have to do a portfolio because achievement is not there.

There is a four SD spread between VCI and PSI/WMI and a three SD spread between PRI and PSI/WMI.

He has dysgraphia and dyslexia.

Plus there is all that genetic disorder stuff.

We have a lot to figure out.

M
    M
    Take a deep breath.

I understand you have a lot to figure out and still don't have the full report. It's very overwhelming (or was for us too when we first heard). Try to take away the positive: Now, you have a lot of information about your dc to help him.

Hang in there.

P
    P
    I hear you KJP and yes it will be a lot of work. All the folks here told me how lucky we were to get very similar information at the age of 6 rather than at 10 or 12 or even older. I am going to tell you the same thing.

I wouldn't worry about the DYS side of things just yet. IMO you will need to get a handle on the LD side before you move on the other stuff. With labeled disabilities should come appropriate accommodations - that is a big plus. I have found that I have had to do the research myself and educate the school team on the effects of slow processing speed. They seem to understand dyslexia and dysgraphia pretty well and do a kind of ok job on working memory issues. Learning about the effects of slow processing speed, though, was a bit of a wake up call.

So as Melessa says Take a Deep Breath. You have done an awesome job finding this information early and the folks on this board have a wealth of knowledge and a generosity of spirit to share their experiences to help along the way.

C
    C
    Do you have any recommendations for resources on the effects of slow processing speed?

D
    D
    KJP, that's a lot to manage. I hope you're not discouraged, though: knowing is much, much better than not knowing, and you've done a great job figuring everything out.

Hang in there,
    DeeDee

P
    P
    Originally Posted by chay
    Do you have any recommendations for resources on the effects of slow processing speed?

This will link you to a page with several good articles and other resources.

http://www.familylight.com/link3/3.04/S_Proc/index.htm

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks for that Pemberly. One thing that I found puzzling that I didn't ask about was why his PSI dropped so drastically from his WPPSI III score at four and a half.

He dropped from 81st percentile to the sixteenth.

Does anyone know how the measures are different between the tests?

Last edited by KJP; 10/06/13 05:54 PM.
    H
    H
    KJP-- I don't have any words of help but my son similarly dropped from 90th percentile on WPPSI (at 4) to 16th on WISC (at 6)and now has a 61pt spread. I find myself wishing we could clinically compare these kids we have with such similar issues and figure out all the "whats" and "whys".

My completely unresearched theory is that the expectations for processing are much higher with age.... agemates are making large strides in growth during those years that our children's brains were not able to make.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Well I am glad someone else has seen that happen. When I realized the percentile drop today, I started wondering if he'd had a head injury in the last year that I didn't know about.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    My other horribly unsettleing theory is that his handwriting drill intensive preK/K experience has damaged his hands somehow.

I remember reading something about handwriting accommodations for EDS (maybe it was on here?) that the accommodations weren't just for accessing the curriculum they were for preventing permanent damage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM