Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Anyway, I am hoping that now that a gifted support staff person will be more involved (I meet her on Monday) and DS will be given gifted pull-out (not sure if it starts this week or next)... it will get better.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Given the cost of Montessori (hardly within the reach of a non high SES population) I think that you are dealing with a group that has already been taught the value of delayed gratification and self control at home.

Not your standard group of kids that age at all.

I'm not trying to argue, because my point was not about Montessori vs. non-Montessori, but rather that appropriate level learning materials (i.e. reading books at the right level) can help keep kids out of trouble. Also, at least one of those boys definitely wasn't learning delayed gratification and self control at home. (He wasn't ours!) BTW, the cost of this particular school was not much higher than other daycare/preschool options in the area. I have heard that in some areas it is frighteningly expensive.

Last edited by ConnectingDots; 10/03/13 11:37 AM.
    Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Do you think children should obey their parents? I think they should, within limits.
    Within limits, I don't expect my son to obey me. I don't care to wander into the judging zone of extending that to all parents. I've found a trusting, open, communicative relationship belies the need for obedience.

How can one adult keep order in a classroom of twenty children unless they are "compliant" or "obedient"?

Through communication, rational intent, engagement, bi-directional trust building, and other tools used by effective leaders (though compliant drifts a bit away in concept as compared to obedient.) (bolds here to point out a couple of seeming problems in Irena's situation)

C
    C
    Irena... I hope that you didn't think I was accusing your son of running amok, not at all! It sounds like a dreadful situation and I am crossing my fingers that the new books you brought help even things out for him.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Do you think children should obey their parents? I think they should, within limits.
    Within limits, I don't expect my son to obey me. I don't care to wander into the judging zone of extending that to all parents. I've found a trusting, open, communicative relationship belies the need for obedience.

How can one adult keep order in a classroom of twenty children unless they are "compliant" or "obedient"?

Through communication, rational intent, engagement, bi-directional trust building, and other tools used by effective leaders (though compliant drifts a bit away in concept as compared to obedient.) (bolds here to point out a couple of seeming problems in Irena's situation)

You said what I was trying to say, far better.

Originally Posted by Irena
    To be clear - DS is not running amok in the classroom. He gets "in trouble" for wanting to do higher level work - read higher level books (or books at least interesting to him) and he wants to be able to move on in math... He is not running around wild, disobedient... he's just trying to keep learning and keep his mind engaged!

Yeah-- I'm really not seeing how this is "disruptive" to anyone else.

I might ask that, in fact.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    To the OP, I think that your idea of donating the books to the class is brilliant. I am speculating here - maybe the teacher needs to keep a score on how many books were read by each kid and your DS reading a book outside of her database which she uses to keep track might have disrupted her methods as well as made your DS "fall behind" in the number of "approved" books he has read. By donating the books, you enabled her to enter those titles into the tracking system she has so that she can now allow your DS to read them! (the rule sounds moronic when I typed it up, but it seems that these rules and procedures are very important in PS).
    I feel for your kid.
    Good for you that you are able to think outside the box for them! I am sure that you can buy stacks of used books and donate them to the classroom.
    Another thought - as an "accomodation", my son's ex-school allowed him to read a book of his choice during "free play" time - the time between finishing their work and the start of the next activity. Would your son's teacher accept this suggestion?

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Irena... I hope that you didn't think I was accusing your son of running amok, not at all! It sounds like a dreadful situation and I am crossing my fingers that the new books you brought help even things out for him.

Oh no not at all ! Totally understood what you were saying. .. I was just venting smile more about the unfairness and silliness of it all!

Originally Posted by Irena
    To be clear - DS is not running amok in the classroom. He gets "in trouble" for wanting to do higher level work - read higher level books (or books at least interesting to him) and he wants to be able to move on in math... He is not running around wild, disobedient... he's just trying to keep learning and keep his mind engaged!

Quite so. I apologise for helping to take your thread off on a tangent.

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/03/13 12:35 PM.

Become what you are
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    No apologies necessary, people! smile I happy to hear all thoughts and digressions !

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM