This is all so mind-boggling. How could it possibly be "not fair" to the other kids? If the goal is to read 100 books, and he's picking bigger and harder books to read, it will (may) take him longer to read the 100 books than it does the other kids, who are reading the smaller books. He's giving them an advantage -- and it's not a competition with others, anyway, it's a competition with oneself!

I would be in the principal's office so much on this, they'd have to give me my own name plate. Does the principal condone taking books away from children? Does the superintendent? Does the school board? And does the newspaper know about it, if they do? The taxpayers whose hard-earned money goes to the schools might be interested to know that the people they elected, and the people those people hired, are spending their time trying to hold back the children's educations.

And as for keeping children from knowing there are bigger and better books out there -- oh lord almighty! Isn't that the whole incentive for learning to read in the first place? If I had thought, as a child, that first-grade (or worse) books were all there was in the world, I wouldn't have even bothered!