Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Another question for you - are you recording your IEP team meetings?

This is a great question. For us, putting the recorder on the table, turning it on, and saying innocuously, "oh, it's so hard for us to take notes and think at the same time; would it be OK if we record?" was very useful. It made people instantly MUCH more polite and civil. It did not solve everything, but it took the edge off.

Feeling for you,
    DeeDee

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks for all the support everyone. While I was verbally ripping the district people apart at the meeting I actually thought of this board and wondered if some of you would have handled it differently. DH assures me that no one would have been able to contain their anger and still have any hope of getting anything close to what DD needs. Consultant was clear that I was effective in terms of getting all concerns on the record so if the situation implodes we have a trail of raising concerns in a timely manner. Yes, everything is recorded. Of course DD's self appointed "protector" is responsible for taking notes and drafting the IEP so it should be interesting to see what relationship to reality that takes. I am assuming we will be adding an addendum of our own...

The thing is that I *think* this school could actually meet DD's needs, at least for this year. I mean these are the people who placed her in an 8th grade reading group for her comprehension strengths. Also 1 afternoon a week she gets 1-1 enrichment on any topic she chooses. Anything! (She has selected American History to start.) They have a plan to seamlessly embed AT into her academic program. All the teachers are spec ed certified so they are equipped to give her support in the classroom. It's not just the OTs doing AT with her. The OTs come from a central service that contracts with most districts that have kids at the school. They are paid by our district but are not connected to them.

The only problem is that the director did not stand up to the district about any of this. She wants to work "collaboratively" but doesn't understand the sheer incompetence of the people who are calling the shots. No one in their right mind would believe this if they hadn't experienced it (even vicariously as you all have). That concerns me. Not enough for me to pull DD, fight for the 2E school and separate the family. If DD can have her needs met here - even for just a year - that is definitely the best thing to do.

My current thought is to just try to remove the district from the equation. They want us to sign a contract in order for DD to bring the iPad home. We weren't able to reach our lawyer yet but what I am leaning towards is buying an iPad and letting the school load anything and everything they want. DD needs to listen to audio books on the ride to and from school. Rather than accept liability for district's machine we'll accept liability for our own. The school can be limited all they want by the district for their own machine but will have free reign with ours. We then cancel the IEP meeting that we scheduled and instead proceed with team meetings with the school staff. We isolate the players from the district. They have already agreed to provide everything we asked for - they have nothing else to add. We plan to hold them liable if something fails but we work hard to compartmentalize them. DD's education gets handled by us with the school. Period. If the school objects? Well that just may prove it's not an appropriate placement.

What do you all think?

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    My current thought is to just try to remove the district from the equation. They want us to sign a contract in order for DD to bring the iPad home. We weren't able to reach our lawyer yet but what I am leaning towards is buying an iPad and letting the school load anything and everything they want. DD needs to listen to audio books on the ride to and from school. Rather than accept liability for district's machine we'll accept liability for our own. The school can be limited all they want by the district for their own machine but will have free reign with ours. We then cancel the IEP meeting that we scheduled and instead proceed with team meetings with the school staff. We isolate the players from the district. They have already agreed to provide everything we asked for - they have nothing else to add. We plan to hold them liable if something fails but we work hard to compartmentalize them. DD's education gets handled by us with the school. Period. If the school objects? Well that just may prove it's not an appropriate placement.

What do you all think?

I think it's an excellent plan. If school will do what's promised without further intervention from the district, go for it.

Your own iPad is definitely a good investment at this point, so you have freedom and control over it. I think there are some forms of insurance available to protect you if you couldn't afford a replacement in the event that something happens. (Sometimes you can get a rider on your homeowner's policy, sometimes you can get "student coverage.")

Pemb, do you notice how strong you've gotten? You are a force to be reckoned with.

DeeDee

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks DeeDee and I just realized I forgot to answer your question about the migraines. They were absolutely awful for a while. I mean really, really bad. Her meds were upped by 50% and she now takes Gatorade to school with her. There is a calmness to her since the 8th grade reading group started and she started getting some access to her iPad. The headaches have gotten better with these additions, too. I can't tell for sure if it is the increased meds or the better access to appropriate work at school - I'm guessing both have contributed to the improvement.

I have always been pretty forceful but for a while at the beginning of this journey I tried so hard to not be "that parent". I bit my tongue and tried my best to be patient. That horrible principal we had snapped me out of that in a heartbeat though. At times, like yesterday, I wish I could be as effective and not have to be a cross between a mama bear and an injured tiger. It is exhausting but has been very effective in getting her needs met.

When we got our iPhones DH and I both signed up for the apple protection plan. We each ended up getting replacement phones during the 2 year period. If they offer the same thing for an iPad maybe we'll do that. Thanks for reminding me.

Pemb - Unless the iPad is a MAJOR financial burden for you guys, I'd just do it. The district is just going to suck you dry (emotionally) on this, I'm willing to bet. Screw that whole thing and just go around them. Buy the protection plan and a big old OtterBox case for it and send her to school with it.

~amy
    P
    OP Offline
    P

We are looking at the iPads now - any reason we shouldn't get her a mini? I'm thinking it will be easier for her to carry back and forth. The one at school is a full size. I know nothing about this - any input would be appreciated!

Z
    Z
    The size of the onscreen keyboard, would be the main concern I'd have. We are debating a mini as DS school is allowing electronics from home. In your situation, getting a different size would make the whole thing easier to swallow for me.

H
    H
    We bought the mini at back in Feb and it has been great for us. I can fit it in most purses or stow in lots of spots in the car. We have had no issues with size even with the main user being a dysgraphic 6yr old with lots of vision issues who is mostly using it for learning/home school. It is lighter and easier to bring along most places plus the price break is nice too. smile

P
    P
    The size of the minis would be something I'd really think about. Can you use a bluetooth keyboard with them? That's what our ds uses more often than the on-screen keyboard, but he uses a regular size iPad. For me, I like having the larger screen for apps.

Does your dd carry a backpack to school? The full size iPads aren't terribly large.

polarbear

H
    H
    The difference is 2 inches on each side between mini and full size... we haven't used a Bluetooth keyboard but a quick google scan showed what looked like both keyboards and cases that accommodated the keyboards which are compatible with minis.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM