Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 315 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 23 of 33 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 32 33
    oops sorry! Shouldn't have used my iPhone my watching DD's soccer practice to grab sometime forum time otherwise I'd have seen that - where is the forehead smacking emoticon?

Become what you are
    U
    U
    I'll write you a comparing story! I compare this stupid terminology to a piece of...never mind.

I
    I
    Here is another supporting reference from Annenberg Learner:
    http://www.learner.org/courses/learningmath/number/pdfs/session4/a_s_1.pdf (Page 43 "compare problems" section).
    I sent both to the teacher smile I am sure she loves me already!

Last edited by Irena; 09/25/13 06:26 PM.
    S
    S
    He could have demonstrated it by writing...

70+ ? = 80
    70 + 10 = 80
    80 is 10 more than 70.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    I
    I
    Well, it was the last question on a test so i imagine he was running out of steam. And if they had asked for a "fact family" i can assure you he would have written it that way. also the kids were specifically not taught these problems because it was a "pre-test" for a differientaton group.

I
    I
    But thanks anyway - there are obviously a number of ways he could have written it - doesn't change the fact that he way he did write it and solve it was correct and should not have been marked wrong.

Last edited by Irena; 09/25/13 07:32 PM.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Irena
    But thanks anyway - there are a number of ways he could have written - doesn't change the fact that he way he did write it was correct and should not have been marked wrong.

Yup.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    S
    I am sorry I didn't finish my thought up above...I totally got that the first line he did in his head...and the last line in my example would be the conclusion that anyone can plainly see from 70 + 10 = 80. He compared one side of the equation to the other and made it equal. Perfectly fine answer to me mathematically.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    I
    I
    So, I sent the chart Zen linked and annerberg textbook excerpt that I found to the teacher. She emailed me saying "thanks," "very helpful" and that she'll "share it with her team." DH and I were laughing think 'wait, you have a "team" on this and still didn't get it right?' LOL. She said she would call me to discuss DS's answer. I know I am a bit of troublemaker but I wrote the following:

"No worries. I had just wanted to make sure that he and I understand exactly what he is supposed to do in "comparing problems" and when I researched it, that's what we found. Looks to me like if the problem wanted, as an answer, a "difference" and a "subtraction" sentence, it should have asked for that and it should have instructed the student to write a "separating story" rather than a "comparing story." However, the instructions read, "Write a comparing story....Write a number sentence that solves the story." And DS certainly did exactly that. I am more than confident that he has displayed the requisite understanding on a "deeper level." As for the drawing part, I have no concern about that - he has been able solve problems like that for years easily in his head. The requirement that he "draw" is redundant and does not cause me any concern in the least as it is math class not art class and, due to his disability, drawing takes up too much time and mental energy. By the way, to give you perhaps more assurance of DS's problem solving skills - he recently scored a 121 on the Woodcock Johnson Test of Achievement Applied Problems, which correlates to a grade equivalent of 4.4. I think it is so sad that a problem like this could have held him back but I am very grateful that you didn't let it! "

I know it's a bit bitchy (and petty with me throwing in a test score) in a way but like my co-worker was saying - it seems like every year someone tells the teacher that DS is smart (me or DS) in order to make things better and easier and appropriate... and what it does instead is triggers the teacher to embark on a mission to prove to us that he really isn't as smart as we think he is when I hear the exact opposite from testers and mathnasium and see the exact opposite! Teacher spent 20 minutes using this stupid problem (that she got wrong!) to tell me on the phone that she is concerned DS does not have a "true" "deeper" "understanding" of math concepts and problem solving. I didn't have the test at the time yet so I couldn't argue or discuss really and just was a bit skeptical and said 'well okay but I find this surprising given what I have and others have seen.' I am not saying he is mensa, or Einstein but he is above this level and he needs SOME differentiation! And she says this stuff to him too "DS, I know you think you know this stuff but ...." She's bought into this Envision program hook line and sinker too. She keeps saying how this program takes the kids to a deeper/higher level of understand

Ugh ugh ugh.

Last edited by Irena; 09/26/13 02:33 PM.
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I see a middle ground here on the Legos question. Obviously the boy knew the difference was 10, so the teacher was just being dumb there. However, when he translated the problem into mathematical language, he did not write the correct expression.

Hmmm I guess this where my lack of math ability comes in but. I didn't realize you could only compare by subtraction.

You can compare many ways, but that's not the question. The question reads, "How many more legos are in the new set?" That's clearly a subtraction problem.

Page 23 of 33 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 32 33

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM