Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 21 of 33 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 32 33
    Same class that had this gem on last week's work:

Food contains __________; however, some food is a better/richer source than others.

calories
    nutrients
    protein
    empty calories

Because it's an assessment item, I can't post the answer. {ahem} If anyone wants to know the "correct" answer, give me a PM.

DD got it wrong. But didn't want to bother arguing the issue over a single point. This class is a graduation requirement. Yes, it's fluff. And, being unweighted, it will reduce her GPA, which is like salt in the wound. It's mostly an irritation, however, and DD often can figure out what they INTEND for the right answers to be-- whether or not they have any basis in fact/reality is another matter.

Most of the "course content" reads an awful lot like propaganda, according to DD.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    U
    Head---> desk

N
    N
    Was there an "E -- all of the above" option? I believe I would have made one, myself. laugh If you're going to miss it, miss it with style.

Paying for jails -- yes. That's where all of those extra fines and fees come in. smile

I
    I
    Okay so this was an assessment question not a homework question. And my problem is not the question per se but that my DS was marked wrong for it b/c apparently his answer didn't fit the specific formula.

Here it is: "Write a comparing story. Draw a model that matches the story. Write a number sentence that solves the story."

DS wrote as an answer: "There are 70 lego pieces in a lego set. A set of legos containing 80 pieces comes in the mail. How many more legos are in the new set? 70+10=80 "

It was marked wrong and she was wrote in red "'comparing' means subtraction sentence. Or at least explain that the missing part is 10." Then she told me on the phone that DS didn't understand the the difference between the two sets is 10.

Now I am not confident at all in MY math abilities. Seriously. Even at this level LOL. But it seems to me that he not only did what the question asked but he also understood quite clearly the difference in the amounts between the two sets is 10, No? Am I missing something?

Last edited by Irena; 09/25/13 01:30 PM.
    I
    I
    Oh and this nonsense with the "drawing" I am so sick of it - is this art class or math class? He flat out refuses to draw (and since he does have a writing disability, I really do not blame him!"

Maybe he should have answered with a Schrodinger equation-- after all, he doesn't KNOW how many legos are in the box until he opens it and counts them. Just that it is an integer value.

LOL.

wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Okay so this was an assessment question not a homework question. And my problem is not the question per se but that my DS was marked wrong for it b/c apparently his answer didn't fit the specific formula.

Here it is: "Write a comparing story. Draw a model that matches the story. Write a number sentence that solves the story."

DS wrote as an answer: "There are 70 lego pieces in a lego set. A set of legos containing 80 pieces comes in the mail. How many more legos are in the new set? 70+10=80 "

It was marked wrong and she was wrote in red "'comparing' means subtraction sentence. Or at least explain that the missing part is 10." Then she told me on the phone that DS didn't understand the the difference between the two sets is 10.

Now I am not confident at all in MY math abilities. Seriously. Even at this level LOL. But it seems to me that he not only did what the question asked but he also understood quite clearly the difference in the amounts between the two sets is 10, No? Am I missing something?

He said 70+10=80, so obviously he knows that 80-70=10. If the teacher really, truly believes that your DS "didn't understand the the difference between the two sets is 10" then basically she's hallucinating.

This is a case where "show your work" has become an extremely pedantic ritual with an educational value that is significantly less than zero.

I see a middle ground here on the Legos question. Obviously the boy knew the difference was 10, so the teacher was just being dumb there. However, when he translated the problem into mathematical language, he did not write the correct expression.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I see a middle ground here on the Legos question. Obviously the boy knew the difference was 10, so the teacher was just being dumb there. However, when he translated the problem into mathematical language, he did not write the correct expression.

Hmmm I guess this where my lack of math ability comes in but. I didn't realize you could only compare by subtraction.

Originally Posted by Irena
    Originally Posted by Dude

Hmmm I guess this where my lack of math ability comes in but. I didn't realize you could only compare by subtraction.

When I was a kid back on the Stone Age, it was common to get mental tests where you just has to give the answer correctly.

What is the sum of a and b meant ADD them
    What is the difference meant Subtract
    What is the product meant Multiply
    What is the quotient meant Divide

I think that is the meaning of 'difference' there, Irene.

Become what you are
    Page 21 of 33 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 32 33

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs