Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Yup.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    High schools provide a profile to the colleges. The profile gives enough information that the colleges get a good idea of the rigor of courses.

The profile might include the courses offered, grading system, GPA/class rank correlation, average SAT scores broken down by GPA range, colleges attended by the prior graduating class by GPA range, etc.

Looking at a past profile for our district, the 40 kids in the top 12% GPA had an average SAT score of 2086. The bottom 20% had an average SAT score of 1484. 91% of students that took AP tests scored 3 or higher.

From that information you can draw some conclusions regarding the rigor of AP/Honors courses at the school. I think most colleges have an idea of the rigor of certain high schools if they get multiple applicants from the HS each year.

Actually, test scores may or may not reflect the rigor of the courses. What those scores could also be reflecting is the distribution in the intelligence of the students and/or outside tutoring. The 91% scoring a 3 or better on the AP exams has more likelihood of being due to educational quality, but it could also be due to intelligent, motivated students self teaching or getting outside help.

I'm not against requiring students to provide test scores, but *all* students should be subjected to the same requirements as you can't tell from a course name and a grade on a transcript anything about how rigorous the course was.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Kai
    Yes, except no curricular standard exists among b&m/online schools either. A course titled "English Literature" could require one essay per semester or five, one book per semester or five. It might include short stories, poems, and plays, or it might not.

Not necessarily - our school district's curriculum has very specific standards for each grade/subject.

polarbear

But I think that Kai's point still stands-- neither you NOR anyone else has an especially good idea how your district's "Honors World Civ" class stacks up against John Q Smith Academy's, or Saint Android Preparatory School's.

So it's the same problem, really, that colleges CLAIM entitles them to all sorts of other additional measures of performance in the case of homeschooled students.

Honestly... my DD's unweighted GPA isn't as high as for some of her peers. On the other hand, her SAT scores are far higher, and she and we are not especially thrilled with her performance that day. Her scores certainly don't reflect superscoring and multiple attempts.

So how should colleges interpret that?

I can say what I think it means, and why her math grades are often the areas where she's had "low" grades (A-'s, occasionally) and how that is probably an unfair comparison to B&M schoolmates who have had the benefit of partial credit, a more forgiving pace of instruction, formative assessments and real instruction on a regular basis, but who would even care or believe me? Nobody, that's who. Her courses are those that most of her older peers find BRUISING. Way harder in many ways that those offered in the local B&M schools. That's why her SAT scores top those of her peers with similar GPA's.

We don't spend that much time worrying about it, of course-- because elite admissions isn't our game, really. But if it WERE, that would sure be a sticky issue for me.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by Kai
    Yes, except no curricular standard exists among b&m/online schools either. A course titled "English Literature" could require one essay per semester or five, one book per semester or five. It might include short stories, poems, and plays, or it might not.

Not necessarily - our school district's curriculum has very specific standards for each grade/subject.

polarbear

Yes, but I'm quite sure that no admissions person is going to go digging through your district's website (assuming they even have it posted there) to try to find the standards. And I do know that my district, which is supposedly "the best in the state" does not have any sort of detailed accounting of what is actually supposed to be done in particular courses online or anywhere else. However, as a homeschooler I am expected to provide course descriptions and book lists along with my transcript.

Last edited by Kai; 09/10/13 04:18 PM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    I looked at the article briefly and there seemed to be griping about sending SAT Subject Test scores. Those are some elite schools, and whether the Subject Tests are required or not, most qualified applicants (public, private or homeschool) will submit those scores (and if not required, those tests are often recommended for elite school applicants).

A few very selective schools, including Harvard, require two subject tests in addition to the SAT or ACT with essay. I wonder if submitting more than two subject test scores can help if they are all very high.

It may be a good idea to take an SAT subject test whenever the corresponding class is completed, so that, for example, a 10th grader taking biology (and not planning to take AP biology in 11th grade) takes the biology subject test in June of that year.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    For 2E homeschoolers, one problem with using testing to prove academic rigor is that homeschoolers also have trouble getting College Board accommodations. If the CB has denied or given less than adequate accommodations, a 2E homeschooler will not be able to show what he knows. And even if he has appropriate accommodations, 2E kids are notorious for randomly bombing exams even if they know the stuff cold.

This is why my 2E high school student is attending the local community college. Hopefully his As in college level courses will be accepted more readily than my mommy grades. Ironically, the CC classes are *way* easier both in content and in how they grade than anything he ever did with me.

N
    N
    Yes, it is best to take the Subject Test right around the time you finish the class. Two is typically the most required (unless you apply to Georgetown - they require three). However, I know plenty of kids who took more than two or three, especially if they knew they could do well.

Even back in the dark ages (back when they were Achievement Tests) I took four tests - I don't even know if they were required back then. Kids around here have always taken Subject Tests. Perhaps in some areas they aren't as popular, so it seems like a big deal.

I can certainly understand why these colleges require more of homeschoolers. I know a homeschooler that sent a kid to West Point and I know a homeschooler that had an eight year old who could not read. There really isn't any way for the college to know which kid is applying - you need standard measures so you can compare.

Originally Posted by Kai
    For 2E homeschoolers, one problem with using testing to prove academic rigor is that homeschoolers also have trouble getting College Board accommodations. If the CB has denied or given less than adequate accommodations, a 2E homeschooler will not be able to show what he knows. And even if he has appropriate accommodations, 2E kids are notorious for randomly bombing exams even if they know the stuff cold.

This is why my 2E high school student is attending the local community college. Hopefully his As in college level courses will be accepted more readily than my mommy grades. Ironically, the CC classes are *way* easier both in content and in how they grade than anything he ever did with me.

If you're homeschooling for MEDICAL reasons (leaving you outside of CB's general "box" of standard accommodations), good luck getting any appropriate accommodations at all. It took all of our school counselor's considerable guile and my chops as an advocate to manage it.

There's a huge reason my DD never participated in talent searches or took AP tests. That's it. It's a huge pain.

The other interesting thing is that homeschooling is WAY more common among families with kids who have medical conditions that are/can be life-threatening-- asthma, diabetes, food allergies, seizure disorders, etc.

Adding more proctored standardized testing is not a trivial matter if you're one of those people. We know.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    In 2008 the NYT interviewed college admissions deans, and one of the questions was about homeschooling. The Yale dean appeared frosty toward homeschooling.

http://questions.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/17/qa-college-admissions/
    Q. and A.: College Admissions

Question
    Would you be willing to comment on homeschooled students and the college admissions process? We have four children we are homeschooling and we hope to continue that up until they go off to college.
    —Elizabeth

Question
    Do you have a bias against homeschooled students? They don’t always have the classes available to them, such as AP, honors, labs, etc. If you don’t have a bias, what do you look for in a homeschooled student? The transcript may include nonstandard courses. How do we let a school know, other than with standardized test scores, how they might be a good fit for that school?
    — Leslie Howard

Answer
    Mr. Walker of Texas: Homeschooling is a more recognizable educational enterprise than it once was. This has made directors of admission more comfortable with their ability to properly evaluate a student’s readiness for the rigors of a challenging college curriculum and a student’s social adaptation skills. We recognize that there are many ways to get a rigorous education, and AP and honors classes are just two of the most popular examples.

We probably provide better service and a more complete and personal evaluation of our homeschooled children than we do to our more traditional applicants.

While homeschooled children present slightly different application materials, the differences are shrinking. We are seeing parents become more entrepreneurial in finding good educational experiences for their children, and more parents are pooling resources to provide the more specialized subjects in the sciences. The Web has allowed for a much broader and more organized enterprise than was ever possible. Even the term “homeschooled” has become a less accurate description of where learning takes place. The term is more descriptive of where the administrative staff resides and where the student’s “home room” might be.

Answer
    Mr. Syverson of Lawrence: We welcome homeschooled students. Just as with high schools, there is great variation in the strength of the preparation we see among homeschoolers. And in many instances, because they are not presenting a traditional set of credentials, it is important for homeschoolers to be particularly thoughtful about what they will include in their application. Some will submit a number of SAT subject tests taken over the course of several years as a way to document their mastery of these areas. Others will prepare for AP exams as another way to document, with a traditional metric, the rigor of their work. Many will submit one or more substantial works they have done as part of their courses.

Answer
    Mr. Poch of Pomona: I do have skepticism about some versions of home schooling. We will seek concrete evidence of preparation which may, for better or worse, fall both to a wider range of standardized testing but also to evidence of collaborative work with other students both academically and socially. The home schooled student does carry an additional burden of proof. How to address it?

Good and deep articulation of the courses of study followed. Representation of knowledge acquired and intellectual skills developed. Interview if possible. Admissions officers may rely more heavily upon standardized testing than we would like because the transcript of a home schooled student will carry the imprint of a parent and the references if written by a tutor or parent cannot address questions we would have regarding the engagement of a student with a teacher and peers in a classroom or collaborative learning environments.

Anticipate what we would like to see. Develop a full curriculum and make sure math and laboratory sciences are part of the experience. Even where general admission requirements may ask only for optional presentation of tests or where no SAT subject tests are required, I suggest that the student present those familiar representations of their work and achievement. If the standard expectation of the college is for two SAT subject tests, send more. Send four or five in different academic areas to fully represent a range of academic exposures.

Answer
    Mr. Brenzel of Yale: We see only a few homeschooled applicants, and we do occasionally admit a homeschooled student. Evaluation is usually difficult, however. It helps if the applicant has taken some college level courses, and we can get evaluations from those teachers. We are not keen on homeschooled students where the only evaluations come from parents and the only other information available consists of test scores.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM