Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    In Australia it's incredibly difficult to get a psychologists to release even the subtest scores (often you can't even get numbers, only percentiles for the indexes). I have never known anyone in Australia to get raw scores - specifically to protect the test (and us poor stupid parents need to be protected from ourselves of course too). The only way to get slightly more info is exactly as Grinity suggests - to get another psychologist to request the results.

Last edited by MumOfThree; 09/09/13 05:38 PM.
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Hi -- Thanks everyone for the replies. I think Grinity might have hit on a good solution for me -- I might ask my pediatrician if he'll ask for it. Then I don't have to pay for further assessment, and I don't have to deal with this woman any further. I *might* ask our principal to look into it further for me too, but she's a little clueless on this stuff, so I'm guessing nothing will come of it (but she is our building 504 administrator, so wouldn't that mean she's supposed to?).

I repeatedly question whether or not this is even something I really need. As I mentioned in my original post, I am partly pursuing it just because I'm annoyed that I've been pushed off (I got no reply to my first attempts to get it from her, I had to reach out the the principal to get any email response). What are your thoughts - is this actually important information to know? I'm dealing with a kiddo with pretty large score scatter (verbal of 150 - with 19s on two subtests - but a processing speed score of 97); is it going to make much difference to find out if its an even broader scatter than what I already know? We don't get any GT type services, nothing is offered here, so the score being higher isn't going to help us with anything. The testing was completed as part of a full eval that was targeted at determining other issues (specifically sensory processing), so they don't 'care' that he tests as gifted.

M
    M
    I would change tactics and ask the school psychologist to calculate the score with the extended norms, in addition to asking your ped or another psychologist to request the scores. I calculated one of my DS' GAI scores on my own, and then asked the school psy. to calculate his GAI. Your post reminded me that I need to go back and ask her to look at the extended norms (which was something I didn't realize could be done when we had the original testing done last year. )

I
    I
    Originally Posted by momoftwins
    I would change tactics and ask the school psychologist to calculate the score with the extended norms, in addition to asking your ped or another psychologist to request the scores. I calculated one of my DS' GAI scores on my own, and then asked the school psy. to calculate his GAI. Your post reminded me that I need to go back and ask her to look at the extended norms (which was something I didn't realize could be done when we had the original testing done last year. )

In what situations should extended norms be calculated? How can I tell whether or not extended norms should calculated (in order to request it)? When the subtest score is 19? 18? How can I tell if it has been calculated?

Z
    Z
    You can tell the extended norms were used if there are subtest scores greater than 19; it should also be noted. The WISC Extended Norms document suggests calculating the extended norms when at least one subtest is a 19 (may have hit the ceiling) and at least one other is 18 or 19.

I
    I
    Ah thanks Zen!

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Good idea about asking her to do the extended norms. I will try that - I'm guessing I'll get zero reply, but its worth a shot!

M
    M
    Make sure you request it in writing, not just verbally - send her a letter requesting the extended norms. Good luck.

Whatever you do - put it in writing and make a copy for yourself. Document everything and create a paper trail.

I'm in MA and there's no state mandate to provide gifted services. Legally, the MA schools are only obligated to provide a general curriculum. Now, I've heard some cities and towns do have g/t programs here and there, but there's nothing on the books across the state and you are still at the mercy of the school district and any localized policy regarding g/t accommodations.

My 2e/pg son has already been in two private gifted schools here and neither one would/could accommodate or rapidly accelerate him. IF you've got a child who is operating 2-3 grade levels or is advanced in one or two subjects, you'll be in better hands in trying to get any accommodation.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM