Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    He very rarely skips or transposes if doing so would make it not make sense. If that ever happens, he immediately catches himself and goes back. So he "hears" himself. But he just zips. I don't have concerns about comprehension--my only slight worry was if this might be some kind of weird vision or processing issue, but my gut says no.

I vaguely recall my DD also doing this at this age. Not sure if she still does or not. I don't think so?

how are his spatial skills? when he draws people, how detailed are they? Does he like to do I-Spy type books?

Spatial skills are great. Draws nice detailed people, though he isn't as ahead in writing or drawing as his sister was at this age. Great at I-Spy and Waldo--loves them.

K
    K
    I spent a lot of time in DS's classroom in 1st grade doing those reading speed tests (they were testing for words-per-minute, not comprehension). The rule was that if a kid missed a word, I was supposed to deduct a point (so instead of marking as 90 wpm, it would be 89wpm). I don't recall what I was supposed to do if a word was added, but it never happened while I was testing. I probably would have ignored it, so it wouldn't affect the final score, unless adding extra words slowed the kid down.

I notice myself doing this occasionally when I read out loud. I'll add a word to a sentence in such a way that it doesn't change the meaning, it's just more like the way *I* would have written it. smile DD does it a little bit, too; I don't usually correct her unless it's a major error or change. I should prep her for school, though.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Hm. Well, he reads fast. Whatever adult speed is (I don't know). He is just a beautiful reader, actually. A pleasure to listen to. But he does fudge these little words.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    And yes, after I had him read to me I noticed that *I* do it sometimes, too! (Not nearly as often.) The real irony here is that he always catches me if I make a mistake when I read to HIM.

P
    P
    I do things like skip small words all the time when I read out loud to my kids smile I get going and am reading at a good speed and it's just a thing that happens. My guess is that there's a good chance it won't happen for him when he reads for a teacher because he's going to just naturally read a bit slower and with more attention - simply because of the situation and being aware of having the teacher listen.

It's also been a while for us, but I thought that when my kids were being tested for reading levels at school, comprehension counted as much (if not more) than actual words read aloud.

Best wishes,

polarbear

S
    S
    I used that thing with my students when I was a teacher.

All of the words he skips he CAN read in isolation? If you made up a page of random phrases like: (it won't let me post this as I want...separate the phrases with large spaces don't run them all together like the board has them)

into the woods after the movie wash the dishes

cut her hair stuff I love etc.

Can he read those with no errors?

I would (if it were my kid) make up two or three pages of random 3 to 5 word phrases and have him read them at a comfortable pace and tell him accuracy counts no skips or additions or substitutions for a set time (one minute or two minutes depending on how many phrases you make up)...count up his errors and total words read. A day later do it again starting at a random starting spot not at the beginning. See if he can improve total number of words read while decreasing skips/additions/substitutions. You can graph your results.

Another thing you can do for fun is retype a selection from something he knows like Winnie the Pooh or another favorite that you have started at the end of a paragraph and retype it backwards.

These fun exercises will let you know if there is a reading problem or if he just needs to focus during reading aloud.

Last edited by Sweetie; 08/15/13 12:19 PM. Reason: the board didn't format it as I wanted it)

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I gave him some of those "test your child's reading level" word lists months ago out of curiosity and he aced them. I forget up to what grade--5th? There's no problem at all with reading words in isolation. Random phrases could be more interesting, but because they would make no sense, I suspect he would also read that flawlessly. It's worth a try.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    He very rarely skips or transposes if doing so would make it not make sense. If that ever happens, he immediately catches himself and goes back. So he "hears" himself. But he just zips. I don't have concerns about comprehension--my only slight worry was if this might be some kind of weird vision or processing issue, but my gut says no.

I vaguely recall my DD also doing this at this age. Not sure if she still does or not. I don't think so?

how are his spatial skills? when he draws people, how detailed are they? Does he like to do I-Spy type books?

Spatial skills are great. Draws nice detailed people, though he isn't as ahead in writing or drawing as his sister was at this age. Great at I-Spy and Waldo--loves them.

DD does the exact same thing. Are they clones? Like your DS she rarely reads out loud to me, but when she does I have noticed (for a long time) that she replaces an "a" for a "the", an "on" for an "in" or adds superfluous words that don't change the meaning Just like your examples. She also sometimes just leaves an easily readable word out. They are necessary words as far as grammar, but do not really help in meaning. She is very fluent--overly fluent. She comprehends everything she reads. She also reads really fast.

She does have a vision issue that is often associated with convergence insufficiency and other processing disorders. (She is awful at puzzles and I-Spy books.) I have often wondered if she is showing signs of this in her reading. One thing she does is mix the words "here" and "there" and "what" and "that" all the time. And, she cannot read italics very well. But, she is reading so far above her grade level that I think it might be remediating itself anyway.

She started reading in her head at the beginning of the year and is mostly reading grade three or N-O-P some Q book (finished up Merlin Missions, the Littles, Cleary, Boxcar Children and other random chapter books.) She reads really fast in her head--like a speed reader with her little finger almost going entirerly down the page without going across. It is amazing. She reads nearly a book a night. Her comprehension is okay, best I can tell.

I think it is important to emphasize that every word counts. I tell DD this but I also have not given her any reading instruction since she was about 3. I have just been giving her the right level of book and letting her enjoy it--and things have worked themselves out. She probably wont have a challenging reading test (with really detailed comprehension questions) for a few years I imagine and that is fine, IMO. Hopefully her school will make her read aloud and she will learn to take pride in reading precisely.

Another thing she does is sound out a new word wrong and hold on to that pronunciation forever. This mostly happens with names.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by ellemenope
    ... She does have a vision issue that is often associated with convergence insufficiency and other processing disorders. (She is awful at puzzles and I-Spy books.) I have often wondered if she is showing signs of this in her reading. One thing she does is mix the words "here" and "there" and "what" and "that" all the time. And, she cannot read italics very well. But, she is reading so far above her grade level that I think it might be remediating itself anyway.
    Another thing she does is sound out a new word wrong and hold on to that pronunciation forever. This mostly happens with names.

Speaking of clones. All of these, with the last one that drives me bonkers.
    Name in story: Gertrude
    Him: "Gunther crossed the room."
    Me: "It's Gertrude."
    Him: "Gertrude."
    Me: "Do you see an H in the name?"
    Him: "No"
    Me: "OK. Go ahead."
    Him: "Gunther had crossed the room."
    Me: *face palm*

Last edited by Zen Scanner; 08/15/13 01:02 PM.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by ellemenope
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    She does have a vision issue that is often associated with convergence insufficiency and other processing disorders. (She is awful at puzzles and I-Spy books.) I have often wondered if she is showing signs of this in her reading. One thing she does is mix the words "here" and "there" and "what" and "that" all the time. And, she cannot read italics very well. But, she is reading so far above her grade level that I think it might be remediating itself anyway.

ellenmope, the things you've listed above go a bit beyond what ultra mentioned, and are things we saw happening with both of our dds who had vision challenges (including convergence insufficiency). Our older dd had really severe vision challenges, and was reading behind grade level until we discovered the vision issue and went through vision therapy, but our younger dd had a milder vision challenge and she did well on comprehension with higher-level books because there was more text to put together to understand what was going on even if she missed a few words. However, reading was still difficult for her (even though she was reading ahead of grade level), not difficult to comprehend but difficult because she had to work harder than most of us do to read the words on the page, which did hold her back from moving ahead as quickly as she might have in reading.

I can't remember if your dd has been evaluated by a developmental optometrist or been through vision therapy, but if she hasn't, it's something you might want to consider (ellenmope, not ultra :)).

Best wishes,

polarbear

She started reading in her head at the beginning of the year and is mostly reading grade three or N-O-P some Q book (finished up Merlin Missions, the Littles, Cleary, Boxcar Children and other random chapter books.) She reads really fast in her head--like a speed reader with her little finger almost going entirerly down the page without going across. It is amazing. She reads nearly a book a night. Her comprehension is okay, best I can tell.

I think it is important to emphasize that every word counts. I tell DD this but I also have not given her any reading instruction since she was about 3. I have just been giving her the right level of book and letting her enjoy it--and things have worked themselves out. She probably wont have a challenging reading test (with really detailed comprehension questions) for a few years I imagine and that is fine, IMO. Hopefully her school will make her read aloud and she will learn to take pride in reading precisely.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM