Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 328 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by KnittingMama
    OMG, I've turned into my son! I can turn any conversation into one about Minecraft! Ha!! (I mean, how annoying!)

Hahaha!!!

Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Back in the day I was addicted to playing Sid Mier's Civilisation so I know better than to let DD anywhere near stuff like this LOL.

I have managed to get a Lego Robotics kit so just waiting for the right rainy day to give her that to play with- she loves regular Lego and puts wheels on just about everything. I cannot wait to see what she makes of this.

Hello. My name is HK, and I'm a Tetris addict...

{Hi, HK!}

Seriously, I was well on my way to 12-step territory. This is (was?) a reasonably common lament among STEM grad students I know/knew.

Which made it no better that I had just about zero self-control over it. I can play Bejeweled without getting TOTALLY sucked in like that. Tetris was different. blush

RPG does it for my DD. Webkinz was like crack, I swear. Pokemon? Even worse. NO way was I opening the door to Minecraft with her. Remember, she has to have computer access for school day to day-- and she's so clever that not even K9 completely put paid to the Pokemon... so...

Roblox is a Minecraft-lite that is apparently only really fun for her when she's playing with friends, which is okay since, hey, it's usually just a couple of hours once every few weeks. That's okay.

Pokemon was sometimes 4-6 hours a day, when you added all of her sneaking and furtive access time. It was bad.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    So, how bad is it that I just downloaded Civilization V into my computer couple days ago because I miss the old versions so much? And Sim City ... I know the day I show it to DS4.11, he'll sleep with the laptop in his bed! lol

As for the original question, DS4.11 isn't showing any special powers either. It's the little things that we notice in whatever he does and when he plays with other kids that tell us, yes, he's different. DS3.4 is clearly driven by academics but the older one LOVES being a kid and we love that about him. Our kid who just a year ago couldn't be around more than 3 or 4 kids because it was too overwhelming for his senses is now our little social butterfly.

D
    D
    Yeah, I agree with the other posts. He is 6. My dd turned out to be much more highly gifted than I had suspected and she still didn't seem like a prodigy at 6. (or now, lol!)

Yeah.

Meanwhile, back at the original thread... LOL

Apart from the occasional flash of insight my DD8 appears to be a normal kid - no sonatas, new scientific paradigms or medical breakthroughs in sight...

Become what you are
    W
    W
    Wow ... you have just described my child too. 6 yo girl, in the 99 percentile too, and also unmotivated, unfocused, not intense, no perseverance, and very scattered in interest and attention. Also doesn't take well to instructions from ANYBODY. I am supposed to challenge her intellectually so that she will be less bored (all sorts of behavioural issues come up when she's bored), but have not been successful because she doesn't want to learn what I teach her or try to interest her in. And when I try to go along with what she is interested in, she doesn't stay in it long enough to do much learning on the topic. In any activity that I have signed her up for, whether gym, chess, ballet, etc all at her request, a common thread emerges. First the teachers will all tell me how bright she is, and at the first few lessons she will certainly look like she is the best in the group and doing well. A few more lessons down the road, she is all over the place, spinning and rolling on the floor, not listening to what is going on and generally aggravating the coaches so much that this time they are not telling me how bright she is, but what a problem she is. I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you ... but if it helps, you are not alone! I am trying to accept and learn that my child is a visual spatial and divergent thinker, and that she does not look like the "typical" gifted person or genius that we have come to believe from watching TV - u know the kind with obsessive interests and self-motivation, high achieving, etc.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM