Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Every year is the same. We tiptoe around the new teachers, trying to get a read on them before starting to advocate. Deathly afraid to step on any toes lest we offend someone, but trying to get our child what they need to succeed. It is like trying to fake the steps to a complicated school-board ballet. And I am a terrible dancer.

SO true.

Every year I hope and smile... and deep down, I also fear.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    DS6 got the teacher we both hoped for. The one that already knows him and he knows her. She was involved in the decision to skip him and she has a gifted DD of her own. Hopefully it will help the double jump go smoothly!!!! I'm still nervous, but it has calmed me a bit. DS is going back and forth between being excited for school to start and wanting another month or 2 of summer. He has no hesitation about the jump, at least not that he has let on to.

Esme, DYS ds7, ds1 - whatmom.wordpress.com
    D
    D
    I feel the need to repeatedly pinch myself. The beautiful charter school that was too far from home lost their lease and found a new one. 3/4 of a mile from my home and on the way to dd's school.

DS is on his was to a stellar year!

U
    U
    Not worried about DD. All three 4th grade teachers are supposed to be awesome and she'll divide her time anyway.

Very worried about DS, who will be starting kindergarten and who was very close to completely refusing preschool last year due to boredom. He had a great summer at camp--no problems at all--but continues to talk about how boring and awful preschool was. He is not excited about school at all, though I can get him interested in the ideas of chess, PE, art, and music. Also, I was hoping to see a bit more emotional maturation this summer in terms of not getting sad over stuff (he deosn't tantrum or anything but he cries a lot) and if anything, he is more emotional now than before. More existential stuff.

Last edited by ultramarina; 08/09/13 12:28 PM.
    P
    P
    I'm worried about

1) math instruction
    2) figuring out a way to help DS9 develop his executive function skills in the classroom
    3) the fact that 5th grade only has 1 recess (not 2 like K-4)

Hoping teacher has a plan for at least one. smile

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Percy
    I'm worried about

1) math instruction
    2) figuring out a way to help DS9 develop his executive function skills in the classroom
    3) the fact that 5th grade only has 1 recess (not 2 like K-4)

Hoping teacher has a plan for at least one. smile

My son had one recess a week as a second grader.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    M
    M
    After lots of lurking around this site, I'm stepping out to say I'm very excited about the upcoming school year. My DSs(twins, 8) will be entering a district wide, stand alone "highly gifted" program which starts in 3rd grade.

I'm optimistic that this accelerated curriculum program will be a good fit for my kids. Certainly at least one DS has done nothing but coast through school so far. He is so used to minimal effort on his part being more than adequate for most school assignments, that he has been increasingly in the habit of working well under ability. I think my sons will respond well to higher expectations of what they can/should be able to do.

Nervous and excited as DS will start 2nd in the only public full time gifted school in the area (see my other threads on this drama!).

I feel like I'm putting all my eggs in one basket with this school because if it's not a good match then there isn't another option.

DS went to a one-day engineering camp at the local uni and it just so happened that the leader is a 3rd grade teacher at his new school and he also bonded with a boy who is a student there (4th grader). The teacher said she could see why he is coming to the school and will keep her eye out for him smile

Meet and greet is in a couple weeks. We find out who his teacher will be hopefully in the next few days.

My DD will be starting K at the regular elementary. She is bright but not sure if she is gifted yet. There is no reason to privately test her right now, although she is about a year ahead of her peers. She is used to full time preschool and will be going to half day K.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT
    Mixed feelings here. DD5 is starting kindergarten at a small private school that seems to understand gifted kids, but she is a hard nut to crack and hides her abilities to fit the situation too well. Hopefully she'll get a good teacher who sees her for all she is.

DD10 is starting at Davidson, so she is anxious about not really being smart enough to be here, but excited to be here too. Hoping the transition isn't too overwhelming for her.

I am (tentatively) excited for DS's 4th grade year. It will be our second year in the charter school, and our first year with an IEP in place! We love the Spec. Ed. teacher(s) and the administration and nurse were all great last year. I am hopeful he gets good teachers again this year that are up for working with him! He's still not in the gifted program, but hopefully we can sort that out this year with the IEP in place. I'm also happy that they sort of re-organized the school so that 4th grade is on the side of the building with K-3rd, instead of the upper grades. (Last year one side was K-3, the other was 4-11, no 12th grade then... this year it's K-4 on one side, and 5-12 on the other.)

DD7 starts at the Charter school and I'm curious to see how it'll go for her. The charter school has seemed a bit ahead of the public school, academically, and DD7 is pretty hard-core ADHD, so we'll see how that goes. (Adderall to the rescue!)

~amy
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs