Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 343 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I don't know why we persist in believing that all children are cognitively lumps of clay in this fashion. They simply are NOT.

Because we lack an understanding of reality.

See history for details.

A
    A
    That's not going to end well; llamas are intelligent, sensitive and autonomous in ways that neither of the other two creatures are... and the fact that they have superficially similar housing and care needs doesn't change it.

But the "real" measure of a camelid's worth is its wool yield. Clearly to be eligible for differentiated care, a camelid must prove its worth by being sheepier than the sheep and generating a large, apparent yield!

wink

Love your DD.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I don't know why we persist in believing that all children are cognitively lumps of clay in this fashion. They simply are NOT.

Because we lack an understanding of reality.

See history for details.

ROFL.

That's worth framing.

I could think of any number of images/events which would work well with that particular caption.

DD's favorite Arrogant Worms song is, in fact, History is Made by Stupid People. cool

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OP Offline
    Exactly-- it's as though in the effort to pursue a growth mindset for our children, we've neglected the fact that while attainment is a destination, the means-- and PACE-- of getting there is probably not terribly mutable for an individual when you get right down to it.

I can't will my child onto a different developmental trajectory by feeding her more or promoting special exercises or anything. It is what it is. That's not to say that I think that her current physical development is static, or that it isn't important to provide her with good nutrition and physical activity that promotes good health.

It's just that no amount of wishing and cajoling/preparation will actually MAKE her develop faster if that isn't her genetic destiny.

Steven Pinker calls this tendency the denial of human nature (genes really) in the Blank Slate. It's hard to convince people of how much our nature shapes our destiny when they want so desperately to believe that through nurture they can shape their children's destinies, including their intelligence and personalities.

M
    M
    Cricket I take back my earlier comment about Gange's model. It sounds like hey are almost certainly using Renzulli's model. Or maybe some bizarre mishmash of the two. But Renzulli's model is certainly not 2e friendly.

Z
    Z
    If schools actually used Renzulli's real system, rather than misusing the rating scale that was only designed to be used as a backdrop to catch kids who miss on testing. http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/sem/semart04.html

I submit that cricket's district is using their VERY OWN made-up model.

Explains everything, and heaven knows that is no small feat under the circumstances. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Well yes, though it seems like someone read something vaguely related once, didn't really understand it at all, and then made up something they thought was what they read about and have enthusiastically proceeded with the courage of their (erroneous) convictions...

W
    W
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Just out of curiosity, how does this school define giftedness if scoring 160 isn't it?

In NYC, they had to go to a generalized test and exclude anything else because they were threatened with lawsuit by DOJ by not treating children equally or something. At the time, there was only one accelerated school and they used the SB results that was used for Hunter admission. DD did a modified SBV for Hunter.

But had to do the OLSAT for this school when she was of age for K. She did 99th percentile on the modified SBV and 80th percentile on the OLSAT. The following 2 years she did 99th percentile on OLSAT so it wasn't a great indicator test for her at 4. But she couldn't placement in the accelerated school because so many kids got 99th and you got a lottery number. She was very unlucky with the lottery number. And siblings with a 97th percentile got first chance ahead of kid that scores 99.9th percentile. That was when I gave up. I tried all summer and spots opened but they went to siblings with lower scores.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    If schools actually used Renzulli's real system, rather than misusing the rating scale that was only designed to be used as a backdrop to catch kids who miss on testing. http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/sem/semart04.html

I only skimmed the article but I can see how his model can be a beginning of a very slippery slope as he seems to equate giftedness with being highly determined and productive.

From posts above, the slippery slope seems to be well worn and there are a bunch of administrators wallowing in the wading pool at the bottom.

Renzulli's discussion is about exhibiting gifted behavior and that supporting students in task commitment and creativity bridges the gap between their abilities and the productive use of them. I'm less concerend about instructional content for DS as I think he has the aptitiude to manage that just fine, but the idea that a program will support the development of the other skills seems great. I have some outcome orientation in that I don't dream of DS one day being a happy pizza delivery guy. A program that measures task commitment and creativity and leadership as incoming requisites is coming from the opposite side of that article and is functionally washing its hands of the deeper responsibility to nurture and grow.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM