Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    I'm surfing the net and came across this article by Mercury News Most Workers Hate Their Jobs or Have "Checked Out", Gallup Says

The poll states that those with a college degree are more likely to be running on "auto-pilot" at work.

According to this poll, 44% of people like their jobs so much that they would continue working at them even if given $10 million:

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/16/winning-the-lottery-but-keeping-your-job/
    Winning the Lottery, but Keeping Your Job
    By CATHERINE RAMPELL
    New York Times
    August 16, 2013

According to Gallup, two-thirds of American workers say they would continue working even if they won $10 million in the lottery.

I suppose it would not surprise me if that many people said they wanted to continue working, but would switch to a new, fantasy career that they had forgone because it did not pay enough or was too risky (nonprofit work, opening a cupcake bakery, etc.). But most people who say they would continue working specified that they would like to continue in their current jobs.

[...]

About half of respondents with postgraduate degrees and half of respondents with no more than a high school diploma said they would stick with their current positions if they won the lottery. Only about a third of respondents with some college or a college degree but no postgraduate work said they would stick with their current jobs.

Z
    Z
    On a similar note, in an anonymous online poll, 88% of people reported that they believed that their HR department would hire fake Gallup pollsters to ask questions to probe employee loyalty. smile

A
    A
    Surely it shows an alarming lack of imagination to keep turning up like a muppet at your 9-5 job if you have several million in the bank? My mind boggles

A
    A
    Originally Posted by AvoCado
    Surely it shows an alarming lack of imagination to keep turning up like a muppet at your 9-5 job if you have several million in the bank? My mind boggles

Agreed, and your use of the word "muppet" just started my day off on the right note. Thanks!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by AvoCado

I would imagine that having multiple millions in the bank would induce the same characteristics as what I term, "Short-timer's Syndrome." If you've never had it, I highly recommend it.

I like my job a lot; I have often had jobs where at the beginning I *loved* them, but eventually issues turn up, most jobs are not 'forever' type jobs anyway (thankfully), as far as going to the same office for 20+ years. But I have been in the same industry for about that long (15+), know my stuff, know what I will and won't put up with and come on pretty FRANK in a job interview so landing a job and finding out it completely SUCKS is pretty rare for me nowadays.
    Also, I don't have any issues /shyness about discussing the state of things with my mgrs, so that helps a lot in fixing things that are fixable.
    (ex: couple jobs back I sat next to a guy who was interesting and funny, but couldn't stop talking even after a 30 minute chat and visual and verbal cues that we ALL need to get to work here at WORK...lol. He was funny, but I did mention the need for a switch of seat and eventually for additional reasons started telecommuting somewhat...so it all worked out).

My job is fairly intellectually challenging (computer systems admin for very large implementation of cots reporting software) and as long as folks don't get offended when I tell them 'no that won't work'...things go pretty well.
    I get to do a smattering of writing (technical and 'delicate' emails from time to time) some modest technical oversight to engage my 'management'/planning brain...the folks I work with are great, however, so rarely do I need to spell stuff out to people at a very basic level. Sometimes I work with users, but that is rare too...so it is a LOT of variety, a lot of interesting smart folks, some sensitive - 'yelly' types, but not too many and most of us can roll our eyes when they go off.

One other plus to working in the computer / IT industry, at least when I got rolling, one could completely self-educate in almost any direction (programming, dba, web design, etc), and I suspect that is still somewhat true. My b.a. in fine arts has really paid off. wink

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    I'm surfing the net and came across this article by Mercury News Most Workers Hate Their Jobs or Have "Checked Out", Gallup Says

The poll states that those with a college degree are more likely to be running on "auto-pilot" at work.

According to this poll, 44% of people like their jobs so much that they would continue working at them even if given $10 million:

Humm....

Interesting. Do you think they're lying? If so, why??

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/16/winning-the-lottery-but-keeping-your-job/
    Winning the Lottery, but Keeping Your Job
    By CATHERINE RAMPELL
    New York Times
    August 16, 2013

According to Gallup, two-thirds of American workers say they would continue working even if they won $10 million in the lottery.

I suppose it would not surprise me if that many people said they wanted to continue working, but would switch to a new, fantasy career that they had forgone because it did not pay enough or was too risky (nonprofit work, opening a cupcake bakery, etc.). But most people who say they would continue working specified that they would like to continue in their current jobs.

[...]

About half of respondents with postgraduate degrees and half of respondents with no more than a high school diploma said they would stick with their current positions if they won the lottery. Only about a third of respondents with some college or a college degree but no postgraduate work said they would stick with their current jobs.

OP Offline
    laugh

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM