Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by 22B
    We have never read to our children. I wonder if that is considered unusual around here.

On the other end of the spectrum, I wonder how many others read to their children while they were still in the womb.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by 22B
    We have never read to our children. I wonder if that is considered unusual around here.

On the other end of the spectrum, I wonder how many others read to their children while they were still in the womb.

I suspect more than a few. We're in that group.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    E
    E
    As far as vocabulary and language we love anything by William Stieg. He has written at least three chapter books that are stellar. And, there is something about E B White that is very special to read aloud.

At 4 my DD's favorites by far were the Berenstein Bears. She still likes to pull them out occasionally and re-read them now at 8.

Just be aware that there's a small subset of those books that carry a fundamentalist Christian message, and are unidentifiable from the rest except for a tiny "Living Lights" icon and Mike Berenstain's name (Stan and Jan are the original authors) on the front cover. So unless fundamentalism is your thing, you'll want to avoid those.

Originally Posted by ellemenope
    As far as vocabulary and language we love anything by William Stieg. He has written at least three chapter books that are stellar. And, there is something about E B White that is very special to read aloud.

YES! I so wished that my DD had enjoyed being read to more than she did. I did read Charlotte's Web to her, though, when she was about three. We both cried when Charlotte said goodbye to Wilbur.

She basically refused to be read aloud to once she learned to read, though, so this was a very short and sweet period in her life and ours. frown

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankwiler
    Cynthia Rylant has some nice read-aloud books (we especially liked Gooseberry Park)
    Harry Potter
    Chronicles of Narnia
    Half Magic

I really tried to read books beyond their own reading level at that point, as I think it helped with vocabulary. That, and I could stand reading Junie B Jones or the A-Z Mysteries out loud!

U
    U
    Kid vary, but Harry Potter would not have worked with the 4-year-olds here (much too dark and scary). DS5 read the Narnia series a few months ago but I am definitely holding back HP for now. (I also think he would miss a lot of it, though he is not PG or anything so YMMV.)

U
    U
    Cynthia Rylant is totally awesome for this age, though--she has some really sweet early chapter books that are gentle as could be but not dumb.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by 22B
    DS would be apoplectic without books and reading as a family. We easily spend 2-3 hours each day, often more, reading at his behest. It is his greatest passion.
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I bet! Not even when they were tiny? Why not?
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Uh, yeah, I'll bite! You didn't read to them when they couldn't read??

That's right. They eventually taught themselves to read at age 2 or 3, so it turned out okay.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by 22B
    DS would be apoplectic without books and reading as a family. We easily spend 2-3 hours each day, often more, reading at his behest. It is his greatest passion.
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I bet! Not even when they were tiny? Why not?
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Uh, yeah, I'll bite! You didn't read to them when they couldn't read??

That's right. They eventually taught themselves to read at age 2 or 3, so it turned out okay.

I'm still curious as to the reason why. Care to share?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM