Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Val
    There's probably an assumption among many educators (I've certainly heard it) that the higher achievers and/or brighter students are okay because they're already passing the test.

we sure found that out (the hard way) this year! it never occurred to me that our carefully-chosen private school would take the view that if she was WAY beyond grade level, there was clearly no problem. i guesssss... but only if you ignore the whole wanting to quit school/wanting to be dead thing. at 5 years old.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    'creative' being a euphemism for 'lowering standards' to further alienate the children with the most potential.

LOL, sad but true.

"Accessible" is also a euphemism for the same thing. "We need to make the textbook more accessible" = "We need to dumb it down."

Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by master of none
    the problem as I see it is that nobody cares about the top.

I think that's it exactly. There's probably an assumption among many educators (I've certainly heard it) that the higher achievers and/or brighter students are okay because they're already passing the test. NCLB and its onerous conditions don't help.

It would help if educators in general were smarter. Schools are an environment with a high focus on cognitive activities. In this kind of environment, smarter people understand the needs of other smarter people in a way that others just don't.

Beautifully put-- but especially the bolded portion.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    We had ability grouping when I was at school with up to 6 groups. Being with the top 15%-20% of students is vastly better than lumping everyone together. You can move through material more quickly and, for example, get to calculus by grade 9 or 10. People around here are used to thinking of top 2.5% or top 0.1%, but even a top 15%-20% group can gain a couple of years over an average group.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    This essay explains why some educational policy-makers and researchers are opposed to ability grouping.

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/living-in-dialogue/2013/05/michelle_newsum_tracking_our_w.html
    Michelle Newsum: Tracking Our Way to Wider Achievement Gaps
    Education Week
    May 29, 2013

What an infuriating article. I really wasn't aware of such extremist views. Why do some people think "Wider Achievement Gaps" is a bad thing. If everyone learns to the best of their ability, then of course there will be wider achievement gaps. Wider achievement gaps is what should happen.

A
    A
    I understand your frustration, and with kids in public schools, I've experienced it first hand. However, I think it is worth keeping in mind that practices to reduce the achievement gap are not driven by the notion that every child has equal potential.

Let's not forget that differences in environment also contribute to the gap. While my kids do have high IQs, their high level of achievement can be attributed in part to privilege - their basic human needs are met in a comfortable loving home where their every interest is indulged and supported and their every achievement is applauded. It is in the best interests of our society to support kids who are not so lucky to be privileged in the way mine are, so they have the necessary basic skills to have some quality of life as they become adults.

Right-- but the problem with implementing those (laudable) intentions is that there is a conflation of opportunity with measurable impact.

Just providing opportunity isn't enough, apparently... and we have to label and 'diagnose' reasons why some people don't/can't/won't take advantage of those opportunities and achieve the way that others (who already had them) do.

The assumption really DOES seem to be that if we're doing this all correctly, then EVERY child will be a high achiever.

That's simply not the case. It's very troubling that this is used as an argument against grouping by ability/readiness.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    The assumption really DOES seem to be that if we're doing this all correctly, then EVERY child will be a high achiever.

Not in our school district - I think they'd be ecstatic if every student learned how to read and do basic arithmetic. We're nowhere close to that right now.

And there is some good evidence that having a range of achievement levels in a class can benefit those at the lower end. That said, however, our district has extrapolated that evidence to dogmatic extreme by putting the *full* range of achievement levels in *every* classroom. There are many problems with this strategy, and the HG students suffer from it the most. I think the optimum lies somewhere in between this approach and full-on *tracking*. Grouping is just now being reintroduced in our district but there is a lot of pushback in the schools, from teachers AND parents....

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by amylou
    Let's not forget that differences in environment also contribute to the gap.

If the home environment is a factor in lower achievement (which I believe it is), then focusing on the school environment won't correct the problem. But refusing to ability group does create new problems for any students who aren't moving at the group's pace.

Giving extra help to low SES may help them if done thoughtfully (which is wonderful). But I don't see why this means that kids who need a much faster or slower pace have to be gypped out of meaningful learning opportunities.

Right-- the problem isn't going to be solved by placing high ability students with those who need remedial pacing/material.

The underlying problem being one of non-enriched educational opportunity...

what the research seems to actually show is that ALL children do well with ENRICHED learning environments. But that is not the same thing as saying that they all achieve like HG+ learners. They don't-- but too many administrators think that the two things should be the same.

Placing high ability and low achievement kids in the same classrooms and giving them ALL the same instruction doesn't serve anyone very well. Giving them similar opportunities and enrichment within their on-level instruction is a GREAT idea, however-- but you've made that task a LOT harder if there is too wide a range of readiness and ideal pacing within that classroom.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Placing high ability and low achievement kids in the same classrooms and giving them ALL the same instruction doesn't serve anyone very well.

Most states have a limit on class size. I sometimes wonder what would happen if class limits were expressed in standard deviations rather than numbers of students.

Imagine if you give the students an entrance exam for each subject. You calculate the mean and standard deviation of the scores. Then you divide them up into classrooms by standard deviations: Everyone between -3 and -1 SD in one class, everyone in -1 to +1 SD in another, and everyone in +1 to +3 SD in the last. You are treated as equally exceptional whether you are significantly above the mean, or below.

What would it be like to teach each of those classrooms?

Would this be fair?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs