Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 25 of 38 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 37 38
    U
    U
    Holy !@#&! 40%!

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Holy !@#&! 40%!

I know.

Like you, I'm now really regretting not pursing the possibility of Princeton more aggressively back in the day.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    What a great cost-cutting strategy for the university! Why pay low wages to adjuncts or grad students when undergrads will pay you for the privilege of teaching?!?

Stanford has been doing this for decades and says it has pedagogical benefits, as discussed in a paper

http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~eroberts/papers/SIGCSE-1995/UsingUndergraduateTAs.pdf
    Using Undergraduates as Teaching Assistants
    in Introductory Programming Courses:
    An Update on the Stanford Experience
    Eric Roberts, John Lilly, and Bryan Rollins
    Department of Computer Science
    Stanford University

In 1988, Stuart Reges, then the director of Stanford’s
    computer science education program, presented a paper at
    the SIGCSE conference describing Stanford’s initial
    experiences with the section-leading program [Reges88]. In
    that paper, Reges discusses the following advantages of the
    program:
    • Undergraduate section leaders are less expensive than
    traditional graduate TAs.
    • Undergraduate section leaders, having more recently been
    in the same position, are better able to establish a rapport
    with introductory students.
    • Undergraduates are more familiar with the Stanford
    computing facilities and curriculum than most graduate
    students.

Ah, here we are: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/education/09legacies.html?_r=0

Btw, I find legacy admissions...gross, but I can't say I'm not going to use what I have, I guess. Maybe I'll rise that far. We'll see.

I do NOT understand what the legacy system is for-- other than to build institutional endowments.

WE joked heartily with faculty that my DD would make a "third gen legacy" at {profoundly unpretentious alma mater}. You know, if it were the kind of place where that kind of thing mattered.

grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    U
    Oh, I would never have gotten in to Princeton. I married up and my kids are smarter than I am. wink

T
    T
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Her parents are quite comfortable ($200K+ income, own properties, sizable inheritance, etc) but they had a hard time keeping up with her travel expenses. They worried a lot about what she was up to as she went clubbing in London, shopping in Paris, skiing in Switzerland, and sailing in Greece.

Yikes. Yeah, see--my kids are not going to be prepared for this sort of thing culturally or financially. It's an issue. I want them to be go somewhere where there are a lot of social options that aren't about this.

But it's those very social options that allow them to begin the long climb upward from irrelevance to relevance.

They might not make it to the peak of the mountain, but perhaps they can see their children or grandchildren reach it.

The key to achieving a life of profound meaning and sublime joy is to never give up and always look to the destination shining in the distance.

ROFLOL

Jon, you share my sense of humor.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    I'm glad dd12's language arts teacher wasted her time getting her PhD. She doesn't appear to be an emotional trainwreck.

Graduate study is an opportunity to immerse oneself in a discipline and contribute to it. I understand that many gifted students will go to graduate school, but I want them to do so with their eyes open. A new Stanford program encourages humanities PhDs to become high school teachers.

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/...as-emerge-panel-doctoral-reform-stanford
    Doctoring the Doctorate
    May 24, 2013 - 3:00am
    By Colleen Flaherty
    Inside Higher Education

Hoping to help Ph.D.s secure jobs and challenge old notions about academe, Stanford University will encourage and pay for humanities graduate students to pursue careers as high school teachers, starting next year.
    The plan consists of a new course offering that will expose graduate students to humanities issues in high school pedagogy and curriculum, and a promise by the School of Humanities and Sciences to fully fund each humanities Ph.D. admitted to the competitive Stanford Teacher Education Program in the Graduate School of Education.
    “Many of our students are superb teachers and committed to the transmission as well as the production of knowledge, and our society needs good teachers at all levels,” said Debra Satz, senior associate dean for the humanities and arts, in an e-mail interview. Although not a traditional career path for Ph.D.s in the U.S., where teaching is “undervalued,” she added, “In Europe, it is much more common for high school teachers and others to have advanced degrees.”

Personally, (and this relates to what I noted in the precalculus thread) I think that most teachers for HG+ students ought to have advanced degrees-- or at least have studied the subject intensively that way, and with the intellectual capacity generally found in such programs.

This also relates to Val's recent notes regarding the overall quality of American teachers, on average.

Then again, this does ask those PhD's to be paid only 40-60K annually in most places...

which, come to think of it, isn't so much less than starting tenure-track pay scales at four year institutions. Nevermind, then. LOL.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    To decide if a university would be a good fit, reading about seniors' plans at the school could be informative. Harvard's is at

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/5/28/senior-survey-2013/
    Where We Stand: The Class of 2013 Senior Survey
    By JULIE M. ZAUZMER, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

On post-graduation plans:

• 61 percent of graduates will be employed next year. 18 percent will enter graduate school right away. The rest will pursue fellowships or travel or are among the 10 percent who have not yet determined their post-graduation plans.

• Of those who will be working, the most popular industry is consulting, drawing 16 percent of employed seniors.

• Another 15 percent will be working in finance, nearly doubling the 9 percent who entered the sector last year but still paling in comparison to 2007, when before the financial crisis, 47 percent of graduating seniors went into finance.

• The next runner-up is the technology and engineering sector, which 13 percent of the employed members of the Class of 2013 will enter.

Asked what industry they would like to be working in ten years from now, students made very different choices.

• The consulting sector went from the very top choice to the very bottom. Just 1 percent see themselves as 32-year-old consultants.

• 5 percent said they still want to be working in finance.

• Health was by far the dominant field of choice in students’ 10-year plans, attracting 20 percent of students. Just 7 percent will enter the industry right away—the years it takes to get through medical school likely account for much of this difference.

• 11 percent would like to be working in arts, sports, or entertainment, though just 5 percent will start out there.

• 9 percent envision a career in government or politics, though only 4 percent will pursue one right away.
    In retrospect one could view "47 percent of graduating seniors went into finance [in 2007]" as the sign of a financial bubble.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    T
    T
    Or a sign that Harvard is not My Kind Of Place.

Page 25 of 38 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 37 38

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM