Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 153 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    But, I would not pay good money for these courses. If CTY (or EPGY) are charging large money for these type of courses, then it's not worth it, and personally I would pass. It's only worth paying for courses aimed specifically at the top students meaning they have chosen to shrink their market by at least 90%.

Yes, exactly. The AP History course was scripted and mostly designed around multiple choice tests written by the company. The guy who taught it asked for essays, but before my son dropped the course, students were required to write them in 40 minutes or less in one shot. This was presumably practice for the AP test. IMO as someone with a degree in history, they had zero resemblance to the actual practice of analyzing history. For this they wanted something like $1300?

In contrast, Crafting the Essay (another CTY course I mentioned) requires a meaningful weekly essay and a number of written exercises. Everything is critiqued in detail by the instructor, and the students are asked to revise their essays (then they get more comments). This course is well worth real money. ETA: but it's a lot less than $1300 ($872).

Last edited by Val; 05/07/13 03:02 PM.
    U
    U
    I'd also advise you to adopt a good librarian if you aren't already quite familiar with good children's lit, and keep posting here. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM