Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #154157 04/22/13 07:40 AM
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS9 is finishing up 3rd grade, (behavior much improved, finally have an IEP!) and so I'm looking into these different programs/tests and trying to figure out what would be the most useful one for him to take. The EXPLORE test seems awesome, but I'm not sure what benefits he'd really get from that... I know the CTY program has summer camps and the like, but I don't see online WHERE these camps take place.

Anyone from TX (or neighboring states) - have you participated in any of these? Any you'd particularly recommend? Can anyone tell me about the camps?

~amy
    D
    D
    DS10 took EXPLORE in fourth grade because we wanted to get a level on him, particularly in math. We didn't get all the information we were hoping for (he was already too far ahead in all subjects, so it was a bit of a shock for me), but his very high scores have been useful in calling the school's attention to his academic needs. DS adores taking tests, so for him it was kind of a lark.

We haven't done any of the camps-- they are far away for us. Maybe someday.

DeeDee

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I also REALLY want to see where DS is in math and reading... he's got this very specific areas where he tends to bomb, and other areas where I don't think we've ever gotten a good read because he maxes out the tests.

~amy
    P
    P
    epoh,

TX has Duke TIP. NUMAT is in midwest. Both test EXPLORE anyway. Duke TIP starts in 4th grade. There's not a lot of activity (online classes only) for DUKE TIP during elementary years. They have some camps in middle and high schools. I think they have camps in Texas A & M.

Your DS can take CTY starting at 3rd grade. Their summer camps unfortunately are in east coast and west coast only.

My DD9 is in both programs but so far she hasn't done anything. We are planning on doing Family Academic program and vacation combination. We probably send one of those summer camps when she is in midle school.

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Peter - ty! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. We might do the explore or scat test this year just as a sort of practise type thing, and to maybe get a better idea of where he's at...

~amy
    Hi
    We have done both CTY and Numats over the years. My ds13 has taken both Explore and Scat testing. I personally liked Explore better. Our schools familiarity with ACT and PLAN testing made it much easier to explain to those staff unfamiliar with Explore. I could find data and benchmarks for them to see. The SCAT testing is was interesting to my ds. We really only had him take it for the eligibility of CTY programs. The follow up information was basically nothing. He got awards but we didn't travel to the Ceremony. Others may feel differently about it. I also liked the continuity between Explore and ACT.

My ds has done online class at both. I think the class strength varies a lot. The Northwestern class had video conferences with peers that made it fun for him. It depends on if they are a scheduled class or more independent study. He had good experience with both programs. Some of the CTY classes are 3rd party classes. I think that can impact the quality of the class.

For summer programs, we have not done a CTY summer program. I have heard very mix reviews about them. It's seems love it or hate it is the experience. We have done Northwestern summer class. I can't speak for the younger classes. My ds did Honors Physics last summer and is going again this summer. He absolutely loved it and was glowing when we picked him up! He can't wait to get back there this summer. It has been a motivating and uplifting experience for my ds. He does not really have true peers at home and he did there. He has stayed in touch with friends from all over the world that he met at NW. It has been a very positive experience for us.

There are test locations in TX for Numats. You can look them up and see if one works for you.

Last edited by Jtooit; 04/22/13 10:50 AM. Reason: Add more info
    22B Offline
    One difference is that CTY starts testing in Grade 2 (with SCAT), whereas Duke TIP starts testing in Grade 4 (with EXPLORE). So CTY offers two years worth of earlier testing. Is that a fair comparison? I don't know about NUMATS.

Numats just started testing at 3rd for Explore.

M
    M
    My son took the Explore last year, 3rd Grade.
    Our school district uses NWEA test through the year so they are familiar.
    It has been a wonderful tool for advocacy for our family.

We have not taken any courses from NUMATS.
    We have participated in some great local colleges programs.

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks guys. It seems like EXPLORE is more popular than the SCAT test, so I will look into getting that setup for maybe the end of the summer.

~amy
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader