Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hello everyone. I have some questions regarding my DS and DD and applying for DYS. I believe my son qualifies based on a WISC IV VCI composite score of 148 and a GAI of 146 (his FSIQ was 140 which was lowered by his WMI). His psychologist did not provide the GAI, but based on the sum of the scaled scores for VCI and PRI of 97 his GAI should be 146 (please correct me if I�m wrong!) On the WJIII his broad math SS was 145. His other achievement results were short of the requirements. Based on these numbers do you think:

1. I should provide a portfolio as the rest of his numbers are below the threshold?
    2. Do I need to have the psychologist provide the GAI or can I just provide it based on the calculation?

The other issue is the applications asks if there are any psychological problems. I don�t know how stringent this section is. My son has issues with executive function skills (as echoed by his low WMI) and has issues with emotional intensity, but he�s never been violent or had grossly inappropriate behavior in school. So he has seen a psychologist for the IQ and achievement testing which has demonstrated that the majority of his issues in school relate to his being severely unstimulated and challenged in school. Fortunately his emotional issues have improved once we�ve had this addressed and we�re left with the executive function deficits for which he continues to see the psychologist, but is this something I need to disclose on the application? I feel this is such a private and sensitive area that I don�t want to report something that is essentially part of his medical record.

My other question regards my DD. Her WISC IV VCI also qualifies I think at 148. Her GAI was 142 which falls just short of the requirements. I will definitely need to provide a portfolio with her, but I�m hoping I can apply with just the WISC. Do you think we need to do achievement testing or should we just go with the WISC and portfolio?

I have been so grateful to find this forum � you have all provided so much information and been such a valuable resource when we were struggling to find out what was going on with my son and his issues at school. We�ve always known DS and DD were bright, but I never thought to get further testing until recently. You have all shown me how to be a stronger advocate for my kids in school. Thank you!

E
    E
    I'm asking a similar question. My son has scores that are very like yours. I'm providing the portfolio because I think it's a requirement if all you have are test scores.
    I calculated my son's GAI to be 157, but he has some very low scores (88 processing speed).

You mentioned that you've addressed your son's EF issues. Did you go to medication?..or have you done this through careful management?
    My son has an executive functioning deficit as well, and we've considered medication. Not an easy choice though because he also has childhood epilepsy.
    At the moment, we are considering anti-epileptic drugs, but we are worried they will not help his issues staying focussed in class. (he's 8 years old)

E
    E
    The "psychological disorders" questions are mostly to protect the Davidson Institute if he plans to come to the Summit or other events, I think - they're not part of the qualifying information. I think you do want to disclose them, but you don't have to go into much detail. Since he is in treatment anyway, would his psychologist be willing to write a short letter saying s/he is treating him for executive function deficits, and that she was previously working with him on emotional intensity but those issues have been resolved?

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi Ephelisdasa! My son's EF issues are on-going, but have improved significantly with a somewhat convoluted reward system that I came up with for school, but it seems to be working! DS is 7 and rewards still appeal to him. I don't know how you feel about Russell Barkely - he seems a bit fatalistic to me - but his advise in that regard seems to help. In my parenting I previously was opposed to rewards, but this was before finding out about my son's 2e issues and kept coming up against a brick wall... We are also going to try Cogmed even though he doesn't have an ADHD diagnosis, but has enough overlapping symptoms that we want to improve. With summer coming up we'll have more time to focus on that smile. The psychologist says he's seen a lot of great results on it and is strongly recommending that over anything else.

Starting medications is such a difficult decision especially as your son has a medical condition in which certain medications need to be avoided. I wish I could help you more in this regard! Have you considered Cogmed or neurofeedback? I was considering the latter as well, but the psychologist said the studies are not as strong.

C
    C
    Achievement testing definitely helps if the scores are in the right range. You can often get achievement testing done a lot less expensively than IQ testing. It doesn't hurt to check at the local university or even ask your school. A psychologist does not have to administer achievement testing. I think you can just provide the GAI if the psychologist did not, but make sure it is accurate, of course. Portfolios work for some and not for others. I think it just becomes a little trickier, because people often are unsure over what exactly Davidson is looking for. If you are submitting a portfolio, make sure the work demonstrates the ability to work two to three grade levels ahead. In our case, I sent in WISC scores, two sets of achievement testing scores, and a couple of math tests from school where dd had shown her work. I tried to cover all bases.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi elizabethN - I think your suggestion would be acceptable to me. The psychologist would be willing to write up something to that effect I believe, but the DYS application asks for a "complete copy of any and all psychological reports" which I think is excessive. I can always go with your suggestion and if it is not enough and they continue to ask for more, then I would probably drop the application as I'm not comfortable supplying his medical records. I would love for my son to be accepted as locally I am having such a difficult time finding support and would love to have guidance, but I would prefer maintaining his privacy and continue to find suggestions on this board which have been terrific smile!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks Colomom - I think I'll come up with a portfolio for both of them even though I think my son's WJIII scores will help. I have my work cut out for me!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs