Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Hello,

First off, I apologize for the long post.

I have been lurking here to educate myself a bit. I apparently have lots to learn about education. I just got Explore scores back for my 5th grade son. He tested through Duke.

Composite 20
    English 23
    Reading 19
    Math 19
    Science 19

I believe he qualifies for DYS based on 3/5 of those scores.

He has never taken an IQ test.

Since I have thought about putting together a portfolio for a possible DYS application, I pulled some of his old school scores. I feel so angry with myself and his previous school.

In 1st grade, he scored a 209 on NWEA MAP Reading 99 Percentile, with a national norm of 172. Yet, nothing was said. I had thought at the time,"Oh well, he's doing well. They'll let me know if we need to make adjustments."

From information I have gleaned on this board, he was off the charts! Yet no one said anything. I even let my little guy down.

I feel so betrayed by people I trusted. I had no idea he was working way above grade level with that score.

We left that school in the beginning of his 2nd grade year when we moved within state. We are currently in a K12 online public charter school. He is finishing his 5th grade year. He is already working one grade above grade level in Math and ELA. Since this is a public school, he is not allowed to work above grade level in science and history. He does have access to his older brother's materials - a 9th grader taking 10th grade honor courses. My 5th grader routinely reads his brother's textbooks. The discussions at dinner are typically intense and passionate.

I am quite frankly a little bewildered. In his science class the other day, we were learning about DNA in the cell. He didn't believe the fact of how much DNA is in each cell, 2 meters. I found multiple sources reiterating the information, but struggled to find original sources. He challenged me, "I want proof. Please don't just restate the facts; I want to know how they arrived at that number." I had to email my son's high school biology teacher for help. She was able to point us to the piece he was missing: some original research studies regarding histones. She said that is something only lightly touched upon in Honors High School Biology, and is usually only addressed at college level. He was a little more amendable to the fact with the research backing it. That is just one example of what I deal with on a typical day.

I just started supplementing his reading with The Great Books of Western World series. He is fascinated with history and philosophical thought. Our whole family is now engaging in book discussions based on readings from the series.

This school has been somewhat receptive to making adjustments for my son, but I feel they are limited as to what they can do. He takes Scantron Performance testing twice a year, always scoring above grade level. I don't believe Davidson uses those scores though. On both years of his state-testing, he has scored above the 95% percentile in all subjects. Our current school does not have funds to provide for Duke TIP. Suspecting I had a gifted child, I signed him up individually with Duke TIP so he could take the Explore test.

His homeroom teacher has since forwarded his scores to the lead teacher for evaluation. Of course, we are now on spring break.

I just want to be prepared when I meet with his teachers. Is one grade level skip enough? Should we do course compacting or acceleration? Should I just continue to do my own enrichment like the Great Books?

I guess I just need some advice. I feel like I am floundering.

Should I put in an application for him to DYS? Should I press for the school to do IQ testing? Should I just put together a portfolio? If I do the portfolio, do I include only school work or signs of early giftedness?

For instance, when he was 2 years old, he wanted me to sign him up online for PBS kids. I told him, "Honey, you can't even spell your name or a password!"

His answer, "Oh, that's okay Mommy. I'll just do it this way." His solution was to based his username and password on locations on the keyboard. Why hadn't I thought of that?

As you can see, I need help. I would be very grateful for any insight anyone might be able to offer.

Thank you.

Last edited by alearningcoach; 04/04/13 02:12 PM.
    G
    G
    Congratulations on great scores!

Regarding a DYS application, if you can get the IQ testing done by the school, it couldn't hurt to have that. IQ numbers may also help you advocate. If you decide to go with a portfolio, search older posts on this board for examples of things that have worked. Searching through google is easier than using the board's search function. For example, in google, type "portfolio site:davidsongifted.org/bb"

I will tell you that it is my impression that Davidson is more interested in seeing recent work in the port. There is a place on the application for information about early milestones. We are in the process of applying now, so this is all new to me too.

22B Offline
    Why can't he accelerate in Science and History? It's an online school (k12.com). Why can't he go at whatever pace he likes? Have you determined exactly where the supposed rules are that are blocking his progress?

Have you thought about purchasing courses individually (https://buy.k12.com/ecommerce/public/index.xhtml), and seeing if the school will recognize the progress? While the k12.com courses with teacher and credit are expensive, if you get a course with no teacher and no credit (just like a traditional homeschooler purchasing a curriculum) it's just $29.95/month/course, plus the cost of materials. You could gain a year over the summer (in chosen subjects) without missing any material.

Also ask your school about their gifted program. They may be able to get testing for free.

OP Offline
    Thank you both for your suggestions. I will research state law regarding acceleration in our state so I am better prepared for our meeting.

As for G&T, he is already in that program for our school. However, it tends not to be accelerated enough for him. Last year the program worked on the development of your own civilization. He plays games with brother where they routinely do that for fun - Civilization Revolution etc.

He did recently go to a Duke TIP Academic Adventures which he enjoyed.

I confess I hadn't thought of going the individual option with K12. That is something I will definitely research.

I will talk to his teachers about other services/options available to him such as testing.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM