Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 206 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I have been looking on the web & hoagies for articles with research regarding how gifted kids who are bored in normal classes, often don't get good grades and underachieve. Haven't found quite what I am looking for.

My DS14 in 8th grade, has been fairly lucky and our local school district has a better than average honors program. Since he was tested in 3rd grade he has mostly been in dedicated honors classes. This has not always gone smoothly because the district likes to confuse/conflate giftedness with high achieving. But in general it has been going well. He is currently in honors geometry and doing well. I never had him tested for his giftedness level but he maxed out the OLSAT in 3rd grade.

The problem is the High School won't put kids in the HONORS track in H.S. based on GATE (we are in CA) only on achievement. This is not a problem except in science. 7th & 8th grade science are the only non-tracked classes. He does OK in them but because they are TOTALLY boring, he doesn't do well on classwork/seatwork. (TESTS 98% average) He doodles in class & the teacher doesn't really like him. Classwork/Homework is 70% of the grade and graded on completion. We have been told they can't put him in honors science because he NEEDS a 97% every trimester & teacher rec. (Plus enrollment in two other honors classes but that isn't a prob.) This would have always been impossible for him to achieve. Virtually eliminating all but the high achievers from the class.

Any suggestions to publications? Councelor today told me should would back me up, but I am going to have a tough road. I know all the arguments in my head but i want something to back me up,

G
    G
    In your situation, I'd not bring in any articles, but instead have a meeting with the HS principal, gently discuss the situation, and make the honors science request in person. Often these all-or-nothing rules are not so rigid when you discuss them in person.

Bring in the tests that show the high ability, and then discuss (or bring in examples of) your son's science interests and career goals. I would not cast aside or make light of where your son hasn't measured up this year, and outline how he is going to make sure he gets off onto the right foot next year with the homework.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I checked with a friend this afternoon & she stated that she didn't have a problem a few years back with her son overriding the teacher rec. The Math Dept. is a stickler to there "rules". Fortunately math isn't an issue with my son. The science curriculum is being redone and there will be a HUGE difference next year. Honors Biology vs. Earth Science and word from the counselor is they are going to be more hard nosed about it this year.

S
    S
    I would mention that they could always un-honors him in science at the end of the first 9 weeks or at the progress report time (ours is 4.5 weeks into school) if your son doesn't perform but to under-place him will certainly not spark him to rise to the occasion as evidenced by last year's placement. And if they place him regular science and not honors science if he gets 100% on every single assignment and test are they going to consider changing his class up---NO...he would have missed that boat and would be behind the honors group. You can always go down but you can bet they don't tend to move you up.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    I agree with Sweetie, if you can't find just the right article to back you up, bring what you can, then go and talk to the principal. Offer to sign an agreement that says you understand that you are putting your child in a class the school feels he isn't ready for and that you understand that he must prove he is placed appropriately in order to be allowed to stay in the class past date X. Often times the school is more willing to accept these "stretches" if they know you are not going to blame them if it doesn't work out and your child doesn't get the grade you think he should have. (Yes, they really want you to give them reassurances that they will have an excuse to shift blame if something goes wrong.) I would also try and talk to the science teacher. You may be surprised at how helpful they can be. It would be helpful to your cause if your son came with you to show that this option is something he wants and it is not just a parental request.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    It would be helpful to your cause if your son came with you to show that this option is something he wants and it is not just a parental request.

I think this is what would help you the most if you were in our school district - by the time kids are in 7th/8th grade the school staff is starting to focus on hearing what the students want from the students. I think that if you go in as a parent, no matter how many articles you have to back up your perception that the underachievement is due to boredom, you're still going to have a tough time advocating for placing your ds up into the honors track when he hasn't performed well in regular classes in science. In some ways, I think the school staff might actually be even less reluctant to make the bump for him when he's doing well in everything else, because that could be perceived as he doesn't really care where he's at in science and he's not personally invested in putting in the time to work and be successful at it (no matter how wrong this perception might be, it's a perception that might happen). Soooo, jmo, but I think the best way to prevent that from happening is to have your ds advocate for the change himself, either with you or trying it on his own.

I think you and your ds will also need to be able to answer a few questions such as: Does your ds really like science? Is it something he's interested in? And if it is something he's interested in, why hasn't he done better in class to date?

I totally understand he may have been bored to tears in middle school science - our EG ds has been, even though he's in an accelerated school. But I've also found that by the time students are in middle school, it is a very difficult argument to make for advancement and honors placement if a student isn't performing well in a grade-level regular paced class... no matter how high a student's ability may be. Teachers and school staff don't really want to hear about research and broad studies that give a student a reason for low performance; they want to hear something convincing from the actual student.

At least that's been my experience.

Best wishes!

polarbear

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks.. The frustrating thing is he hasn't really been doing bad. Current grade is an A-. He gets 100% on tests. Just not the 96+ the school is requiring. Both DS & I don't really get along with this teacher. And I don't get the sense the teacher really pays attention to much more than the numbers. Class is mostly filling out worksheets. I am not the only one who had a problem with this particular "jump". One only needs B's to stay in honors, but needs almost "perfect" grades to move up.

Getting him to advocate for himself is difficult at this stage in his development for two reasons. 1) He is very quiet & shy. (He has improved drastically in the past two years but its still a work in progress.) 2) Middle school science has turned him off of science because it's not analytical enough.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM