Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 125 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    It's that time of year again where schools have their open houses.
    Since a change is desperately needed for my EG/PG son, I'm planning to visit a few.
    Can you suggest questions you wished you had asked before you enrolled (and paid the deposit) you child?

Thank you.

Just one.

"What if that doesn't seem to be enough?"

(in response to lofty/idealized examples of how differentiated instruction is offered/delivered to children) The answer tells you pretty much everything that you truly need to know from administrators, teachers, and even support staffers. If it's rigid or reflects any kind of "does not compute" thinking, RUN FOR THE HILLS.

If it's thoughtful and compassionate, and reflects flexible thinking, that's a GREAT sign.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    K

Great answer!! I'll also keep it in mind...

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Just one.

"What if that doesn't seem to be enough?"

(in response to lofty/idealized examples of how differentiated instruction is offered/delivered to children) The answer tells you pretty much everything that you truly need to know from administrators, teachers, and even support staffers. If it's rigid or reflects any kind of "does not compute" thinking, RUN FOR THE HILLS.

If it's thoughtful and compassionate, and reflects flexible thinking, that's a GREAT sign.

I like that one. I'd try to find out how they motivate kids (ie. extrinsic) when they underachieve or aren't motivated to do something. What if they have a child that beats to a different drum? How do they deal with that?

Can you get your money back or a certain percentage if things don't pan out? At one of the school's DS attended, we were able to get a certain percentage within so many days.

T
    T
    I'd ask how many other EG/PG kids they have.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Here is my list. I think they might NOT accept us, just because of it.
    Missing anything?

- Will each child be accommodated and an individual, or as part of a specific group/small group?
    - How with the school determine the appropriate grade level of the child in each area and as a whole?
    - I already understand that you will allow subject acceleration. Will you also allow complete grade acceleration?
    - How will children be assessed throughout the year and provided for appropriately?
    - Will the school take into account that certain children do not need as much repetition in order to master a concept - being in Math or Social Studies. How will you accommodate each child individually when this fact come into play? Will this be achievable in relation to the Curriculum set out for each grade? (Not that I care about the Alberta Curriculum, but I don't want THE **** CURRICULUM for a specific grade to be the reason our children can not move to where they need to be.)
    - Will the School cater specifically to gifted children? If so, at what level?
    - If so, will the school be able to deal appropriately with common issues relating to children who are gifted, e.g. daydreaming, unwarranted self-criticism, perfectionism, extremely high expectations of themselves (and unmotivated the next), super sensitivity to situations and people around them, etc.
    - Will the school strive to create a community by organizing social events such as a "welcome back BBQ" or "Spelling Bee"?
    - Will you categorize your school as "self-paced"? If not, can you explain why not?
    - Will children be allowed to follow their own interests to an certain degree? If so, how will you make sure that they do not miss anything important for their specific age/grade/stage?
    - Will learning projects be an integral part of your program, vs just worksheet based? If so, will children be guided towards their own discoveries, or will it be the responsibility of the parents?
    - How much "Hands On" or discovery based learning will take place. (Again in relation to worksheets?)
    - If a child needs motivation at some stage, will it be given, and how?
    - What if a child just beats to a different drum or does not fit into most boxes - will you be able to handle such a child gently, without seeing it or the child as a problem.
    - Your intended school hours seem short. Do you think that you will be able to fit all of your great ideas into 5.5 or 6 hours? (Dr. *****, even if you just manage 1/2 of what you envision, you are already doing immeasurably better than most. )
    - How will you encourage children to build positive peer relationships?
    - Our current school has already requested a non-refundable deposits for next year. Are you able to give me an estimate of when your admission decisions will be made?
    - Will siblings be given priority? (Less parents like me to deal with!)
    - Will your own children be attend the school?

D
    D
    this, exactly! i was being ushered out the door from a meeting and this exact thing bought me at least one more. so, so valuable - and thanks for the reminder about it!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    O
    O
    We often get caught up in the academic concerns, I've learned to inquire about social / emotional services and understanding from the school concerning gifted ed. That seems to be greatly lacking even among schools for the gifted. If they don't know what you're talking about concerning social / emotional gifted issues....again, run!

Val Offline
    How many schools do you have to pick from? The answer to this question is important. If it's "fifteen," you can afford to be picky and the schools know it. If the answer is "one or two," you may have to choose a least-worst option.

Originally Posted by master of none
    My favorite question is: What do you do with the children who come in already reading chapter books (for a K).

Just a warning to be specific when your are asking the question re: exactly what level of books your child is reading on their own and ask them to elaborate when they respond. I asked this question at the Kinder screening, which we went to when DS was 3, and I was told, "Oh, we have lots of early readers at our school. My kids could read before kindy too, and we never had any problems." Since DS was our first and only kid, we thought this sounded great! But really there was no one at DS's level once he got there. (This was not a meeting with the principal, though - just the kinder screener, so not quite the same...)

Good answers would include "we pretest our kids at the beginning of the year/before school begins and then place them with other like readers, even if it means going up a grade" or "we test the kids and group them/differentiate within the classroom". Also, follow-up with MON's second question "what do you do if it turns out there are no others reading at the same level in the classroom?"

Val made an excellent point about the number of schools you have to choose from. I think your list is kind of offputting even to a wonderful school. I would not going in with your gloves on, or you will put everyone on the defensive. You'll want to start any relationship on the best terms possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM