Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    CAmom- I was given a print out which had columns with 75% right, 50% right, and 25% right. I was told that what ds was "ready to learn" was the 50% items. Yet, at the bottom of the of each page, it said "this is the probability students would correctly answer items measuring these concepts and skills." Is this the Descartes goals?
    When the info was given, teacher kept saying he knows all this. So, it made me question whether it was individual breakdown or what most students who score in this range know and are ready to learn. Ds teacher did not answer this question.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    Lucounu-
    That is true to a certain extent- the main difference is the starting point. However, the 2-5 test has a discontinuation criteria at the end of Algebra I topics and the question bank does not contain all the topics that are on the 6+ test.

I know you know this, but how do you know? I believe it to be entirely possible to get a 273 score by taking the 2-5 test. DS's score placed him at the 92nd percentile for 11th graders as well as 92nd percentile for those who had finished Algebra 1. He also told me that the questions got past his knowledge level and he had the feeling he had missed some at the end, same as the other times he took the test.

I know because I've actually sat the test, looked at the question bank, sat the 6+ test and looked at the question bank. I'm not saying your son didn't get 92nd percentile for 11th grade, just that the score may not necessarily be the same on the 6+ test because the question bank is deeper and goes through a higher level of math.

For example, the 6+ test includes (in just the Algebra subtest) parabolas, linear and non-linear equations, estimation of infinite sequences like 1/n, compound interest, quadratic functions (not equations but functions) and some log equations. These questions are not in the question bank for the 2-5 test.

Overall, NWEA MAP (like IQ tests) are not good at sorting out the higher ranges of the test (generally 270+) because there simply aren't enough questions, nor enough advanced questions for it to discriminate. Many schools are now stopping MAP in 10th grade because they realize the top end isn't deep enough to be useful.

You might find this interesting- this is from an NWEA training report- http://moodle.bismarckschools.org/mod/book/view.php?id=15583&chapterid=1510

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Melessa
    CAmom- I was given a print out which had columns with 75% right, 50% right, and 25% right. I was told that what ds was "ready to learn" was the 50% items. Yet, at the bottom of the of each page, it said "this is the probability students would correctly answer items measuring these concepts and skills." Is this the Descartes goals?
    When the info was given, teacher kept saying he knows all this. So, it made me question whether it was individual breakdown or what most students who score in this range know and are ready to learn. Ds teacher did not answer this question.

On a standard Descartes Goals the 50% is the "Skills to Develop" and the 25% is the "Skills to Introduce". In general, students get a question on a specific skill. If they get it correct, they get a similar question to confirm it wasn't a guess- then they move up to the next band. If they get it wrong, they are bumped down. If they get the next two correct, they are bumped back up- in each skill area. But there is a maximum number of questions on the test per sitting, so the test will actually stop that section even if a kid has gotten them all right, to move on to the next skill. It doesn't just keep going and going until they get them all.

You won't know if you got the right report unless you get the specific subtest breakdown! You should have four or five subtests in each, depending on the school's system (and version they're using)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM