Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Rather than teach her a strategy, can you reframe the problem for her? Explain that the computer has a secret number, but is giving her a clue: A plus the secret number equals B.

No no, she totally gets what the structure of the problem is, and she can do it for very small numbers. What she can't do is implement an algorithm that will get her the answer -- for example, count up from 3 to 9, while ticking off on her fingers and then see how many fingers she used; or count down from 9 by exactly 3.

How interesting... Maybe there actually is something hard about algebra, then! This was a learning process that was completely invisible in DS; he could just do it, so I hypothesised that people only ever had trouble because someone put them off. Ah well!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    How interesting... Maybe there actually is something hard about algebra, then!

I think it's related to her imbalance between verbal/conceptual intelligence vs. visuo-spatial skills. She struggles to do even a 6 or 9 piece puzzle, she's stuck on the cusp of reading because she doesn't recognize words she's sounded out many times or moments ago, and she hates number lines. I think she just doesn't have any way to visualize finding the distance between 3 and 9.

E
    E
    I used to think that DD4 had major visual-spacial deficits. She has never done a jigsaw puzzle to my knowledge. She also had a very quirky way she went about learning to read. But, she does seem to have a facility for numbers--nothing crazy but it is very innate, so who knows. My point is, I would not jump to any conclusions just yet. Your DD might soon take off in this area.

I think your DD is young, and if she needs help visualizing then that is the place to start. I think you know you are not doing her any favors by letting her get frustrated with math that is too hard for her. I would even take a step back if she was having to use her fingers, etc.

I have never seen dream box. I am not sure what level this type of question is supposed to be. But, to me, It is not about being able to count fingers or count down mentally. It is about recognizing number bonds--that 3,6,9 have multiple relationships. I think it is about solidifying what the student should have learned previously. This foundation is most important. These addition and subtraction facts should become so concrete or have been so innate from the beginning that these types of questions are easy.

How would she do orally? My DD has never seen a written math problem like that, but when I asked her "what plus three equals nine," she knew it almost immediately.

When I asked her a harder one, she did not. So, I think it goes to show it just takes practice and/or development.

Can you find a program that is more visual? Or knock her back where she can "see" the problem? Otherwise, I really recommend cuisenaire rods. I don't even try to teach with them other than having given them the names--just letting DD play with them has helped her tremendously I think. For me, math at this age is about developing number sense.

Ellemenope
    I was thinking the same thing - cuisenaire rods, blocks, something to help visualize. My DS 7 went through weird cognitive jumps in math where the theory didn't match the facts, and then he would leap in facts which makes him more into the theory. But he definitely needed an assist from fingers or a number line where you can make the jumps with your finger.

DeHe

MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Having her guess her way through worked like a charm, other stuff has opened up that is more appropriate for her level. (For those who don't know Dreambox, it's full of virtual "manipulatives.")

Now she wants to spend ALL HER TIME on Dreambox again. I'm usually a low-screen-time parent, but I think I'm just going to let her go bananas on this for a while.

MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Bwa-hahaha!

"We have found that most students will play DreamBox two to four times a week, for sessions of 15 to 30 minutes each."

Just found that on the Dreambox website.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Having her guess her way through worked like a charm, other stuff has opened up that is more appropriate for her level. (For those who don't know Dreambox, it's full of virtual "manipulatives.")

Now she wants to spend ALL HER TIME on Dreambox again. I'm usually a low-screen-time parent, but I think I'm just going to let her go bananas on this for a while.

Yes, I totally agree about the virtual manipulatives. It is a hit with my dd5 too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM