Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    DD's pre-K teacher yesterday responded to my request to send in math workbooks for the quiet time that drives her nuts with 'she just wants to do math workbooks because her big brother does'. Right. Because a pre-K child that wants to do math couldn't possibly really want to do math and we should never encourage it. Even when it's grade 2 geometry and she's getting it right. Especially when it's grade 2 geometry and she's getting it right. And that was just the start of the conversation. Apparently counters that visually represent 3+2 are the extent of appropriate math for pre-K children...Who knew.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by KJP
    Gifted coordinator to DH regarding DS's private assessment:

"IQ tests before third grade are meaningless and besides you are going to want it to drop a lot because if his IQ stays that high he'll have a really hard time in school"

I think my response to that statement would have been, "So, are you suggesting that we lobotomize him?"

Originally Posted by knute974
    they would lack true number sense if they didn't go through the spiraling curriculum that Investigations offered in elementary.
    Heh. He's lucky there wasn't a smart-alec like me in the audience. I would have raised my hand and asked, "Can you cite the research that show that?"

D
    D
    Don't worry, MegMeg. The companies that sell the curricula sponsor their own research teams that conduct valuable research on the validity of the curricula. I'm sure it's all on the up and up.

Sigh.

DeeDee

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Don't worry, MegMeg. The companies that sell the curricula sponsor their own research teams that conduct valuable research on the validity of the curricula. I'm sure it's all on the up and up.

It's worse than that. The research is often poorly designed by the people who developed the curriculum. Oh, the bogus studies I have read. Common mistakes include assumptions that our method is better (and no control group), an improper control group, and improper use of statistics. Not to mention drawing sweeping conclusions from poor-quality data.

The authors are not necessarily mathematicians, engineers, or scientists, either. For example, peruse the author lists for Everyday Mathematics. I went through the authors listed for the Grade 2 books. There were biographies for 8; four were educators, two were neither educators or STEM professionals, and two were mathematicians (no engineers or scientists listed). BUT one of these two stayed in the education field for his entire 31 year career.

I couldn't find anything about the other two --- including no citations on Google Scholar outside of EM. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Last edited by Val; 02/21/13 02:39 PM. Reason: Accuracy
    A
    A
    Love that your DD is into geometry! My son is surpassing her teacher's limit at 16 months. Where do they find these people?!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM