Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 19 of 33 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 32 33
    In my daughter's AP Literature course:

The assignment is to "create a test," which is fine, so far as it goes...

Follow the requirements below to create your test:

create one knowledge level question
    create one comprehension level question
    create two application level questions
    create two analysis level questions
    create two synthesis level questions
    create two evaluation level question
    provide the answer key for all of your questions
    include works referenced information (see the works cited presentation in the course cookbook for a reminder of how to create a works cited/referenced page)

Ironic.

Yes, deeply.... ironic.

Because...

They provide them a tutorial on Bloom's Taxonomy, and require a variety of different levels of test questions...

You may create short answer, essay, multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, or true/false questions. Be aware that essay and short answer questions will be better suited to the higher levels of Bloom's taxonomy, while multiple-choice and fill-in-the-blank are better for the lower levels.

The deeply ironic part is that the people who are nominally in CHARGE of assessment practices for my daughter's school-- and another member here can vouch for me, as he was IN on that conference phone call at the time-- claim to have a way to make multiple choice assessment measure these things. Of course, they also claim not to understand what is meant by "higher levels of Bloom's Taxonomy," so I guess I can't be too terribly surprised.

Just wondering what sort of personal experience students are to draw from in completion of this assignment, since few of them have ever SEEN what I'd call a "well-constructed" assessment with that kind of coverage in this school.

smirk

I'm probably overthinking it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by master of none
    In which medium is work done with no force? Water or Air?

Ouch. That one hurts.

Well, it sure would if it were true, anyway.

wink

Unfortunately, ignorance is rarely painful for those most profoundly afflicted... only for those most profoundly impacted by it. Too bad.

This explains why air fare is so cheap, because airplanes are powered by wishes.

Forget fracking. Clearly, the key to achieving energy independence and reduced carbon emissions is to develop a method of hurtling daily commuters through the air safely.

Not a homework question per se, but DD8's class is reading "Number the Stars," historical fiction set in 1943 Denmark, and said that according to her teacher, World War II began in 1942.

This is one of her gifted teachers.

Since I just happen to be on volume 6 of Churchill's pseudo-autobiographical account of the entire war, it didn't take much convincing for DD to take my word over the teacher's.

Oh my. And so early in the year, too.

To be clear, I do NOT mean the year 1942. grin

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Dude
    according to her teacher, World War II began in 1942.

Well, if her teacher was Brazilian. Or Mexican...

Day 2.

Which of these families has a "healthy" dynamic?

"I got two A's" the small boy said.
    His voice was filled with glee.
    His father very bluntly asked,
    "Why didn't you get three?"

Mom, I've got the dishes done,"
    The girl called from the door.
    Her mother very calmly said,
    "Did you sweep the floor?"

The children in the house next door
    Seemed happy and content.
    The same things happened over there,
    But this is how it went:

"I got two A's" the small boy said.
    His voice was filled with glee.
    His father proudly said, "That's great;
    I'm glad you belong to me."

"Mom, I've got the dishes done,"
    The girl called from the door.
    Her mother smiled and softly said,
    "Each day I love you more."

Children deserve a little praise
    For tasks they're asked to do,
    If they're to lead a happy life,
    So much depends on you.

DD: Uhhh... is it just me, or is the second family, like.... WAY screwed up?? It seems deeply dysfunctional-- maybe even abusive-- to tie approval and love to performance that way. WOW. I mean, I can't say for sure that the first family isn't being obnoxious, either-- it sort of depends on the individual children and the context of the conversation. I mean, supposing that the daughter has a weekly chore list and that dishes AND sweeping are both on it, kinda reasonable... the son, well, supposing that the grade that isn't an A is a surprise to them both... uhhhh, "what went wrong here" seems pretty legit.

Clearly this isn't the interpretation that the high school course is looking for. But "building self-esteem" isn't about dishing a non-stop stream of praise, either. DD knows it.

She also-- though she's frequently HEARD things like the first two stanzas-- knows that our love for her has NOTHING to do with her performance. Ever.

She said "I think it'll be interesting to see whether the happy and content children still have mom and dad supporting them continuously once they leave home...because it seems pretty clear that THOSE kids need a continuous IV of praise to maintain their self-esteem, and that they're being conditioned to feel worthy of love only on the basis of accomplishment, much of which may not even reflect authentic achievement. What kind of person feels proud of getting an "A" in a class that they can SLEEP through, anyway?"

LOL.

Ugh... ugh... ugh...

The fun continues in AP Stats, which is looking more flea-ridden every day. I know that the AP syllabus is a dog. That we expected.

What I did not fully anticipate is that the textbook is never referred to in the "lessons" that the students are asked to complete. And further, that assessments are based not on the LESSONS, but-- evidently-- on the odd random sentence or term from the textbook.

???

BEYOND bizarre.

So the first lessons goes on and on about the (false) dichotomies of quantitative/qualitative, discrete/continuous, etc. etc.

THEN spends half an hour on a scattered video featuring a colorful cast of thousands in kaleidoscopic sound bites, apparently toward the end of explaining how one constructs a
    "proper" histogram (much was made of the selection of "categories" and how not to have data fall on the edges of same, how to divide them into the proper five-paragraph essay formulaic 12-category histogram... )

only to have the lesson's assessment (all 3 questions of it) refer to...

terminology including "ordinal" (hardly touched upon in said lesson) and a question which asks for a stemplot.

It could not possibly be any more clear that whoever wrote that assessment paid NO attention whatsoever to the overall emphasis in this lesson, ignored the fact that students are (nowhere-- and I do mean nowhere) directed to any reading at all in said textbook, and that furthermore, this particular question (30% of the assessment and the ONLY non-multiple choice item) covers (seemingly) 1/2 pg of some 50 pages of reading that I suspect are associated with this first lesson.

Sure. Always a good idea to include 30% "WTH??" in assessment. Nothing like letting students KNOW that you have no intention of actually supporting and guiding their learning in the subject, and that assessments are going to be "gotcha" moments of punishment.

This particular question is metaphorically SO far out of left field, and so peculiar that I have to think that "stemplot" is an error and that they actually intended to say "histogram." Lovely.

N
    N
    I'd sure like to see how her teacher reacts to that assessment of the two families! Fly on the wall time. laugh

DS had a page of definitions to do for Social Studies, and one of them (and the lack of another) made me say to myself, "it's gonna be an interesting year!"

Democracy, now, is apparently "government in which power is held by the people and exercised either directly or through representation usually determined by elections."

Republics, now, apparently do not exist at all. Which, I suppose, looking at our country today, should not come as a surprise to me.

It's funny because I spent my senior year government class getting the same question wrong on every test because my teacher insisted on a similar incorrect definition and wanted it written on every test, along with the preamble to the Constitution. I wrote "Mr. L's definition of democracy: ..." and "True definition of democracy: ... " and he didn't like that, for some reason. smile

Kid's only in 7th grade. This could take a while.

Page 19 of 33 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 32 33

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM