Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Dude Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by nicoledad
    It also could mean she got lucky on one test. I"ve read many posts on this site about kids scores dropping when they get older and it's always the teachers fault. Maybe it's just the way things work out. I know this is a simplistic example but when I was in kindergarden I was the tallest kid. I was going to be a basketball player. I ended up 5 ft. 8 in. More my point is some kids just peak earlier than others.

About the one test: possible. Obviously we have limited information. That's just my take on what little is there.

I'm not sure the height analogy fits, though, unless your parents started withholding food. Because it's a common experience for gifted kids that they grow up in a heavily enriched environment, and then find themselves in elementary school, where their needs are all but ignored. If you don't use it, you lose it.

Now, if you were bench-pressing your own body weight as a kindergartener, and the school suddenly switched out your metal weights for foam, that might be a better analogy.

A
    A
    I have no words.

Because they would all get censored.

Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Maybe she actually does know, but doesn't know she knows because she uses the label "truly gifted"?

20 years times 20 students = 400 total students. She said she knew less than a dozen "truly gifted" students. 3% of 400 = 12.

Perhaps her district uses only achievement tests for GT placement?

Naah... I think clueless is a good label here.

Well, I was trying to think charitably and assumed that perhaps while she was SAYING "gifted" she may have actually intended "highly gifted (+)" students versus "bright and advantaged" students, and been conflating the two things.

That is, that most "gifted" children identified by schools and placed in gifted programming the way a lot of us have seen it (that is M.O.S., in-class differentiation, weekly pullouts, projects, etc) doesn't really do much that ALL students wouldn't just as readily benefit from, and the label is mostly about parents and not their ideally intelligent (aka "bright high-achievers, not 'gifted' ones") kids.

So let's suppose that she has, as classroom teacher and school administrator known approximately 300 students annually... (that's a rough estimate since we do not know when she transitioned from classroom teaching @ 20-35 students annually to as many as 1000 or more as an administrator)...

well, my math suggests that 0.001 (20 years) (300 students)= 6 students. Assuming that she's in a district like mine, with a LOT of high-achieving kids and terminally-degreed parents (among whom one might legitimately expect an enrichment of high cognitive ability)... supposing that one doubled that value.

Voila-- 12.

While I think that the writer's rhetoric is obviously unfortunate, I also think that her point (while abrasively made) is perhaps somewhat valid. "Gifted" programming all too frequently.... isn't about serving that kids that genuinely NEED it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    N
    N
    Bad analogy.I agree with the lack of information in the story. But it always seems these days everyone is quick to blame the teacher but never the kid.

Is anyone else laughing at the irony there? grin

She objects to parent-applied labels which are merely excuses for whatever anti-social or non-compliant behavior issues arise in a school environment....

and yet...

apparently it's different when SHE is the one doing it, eh?

wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Is anyone else laughing at the irony there? grin

She objects to parent-applied labels which are merely excuses for whatever anti-social or non-compliant behavior issues arise in a school environment....

and yet...

apparently it's different when SHE is the one doing it, eh?

wink

Yup. Exactly. And really I found myself so thankful that we have the prinicpal we have because I'd hate to have someone like her... I don't know - the whole blogging thing turned me off and her tone in it, etc... I couldn't imagine our principal doing any kind of blog like that and his tone isn;t like that at all... I don't know, she just really rubbed me the wrong way.

Last edited by marytheres; 12/27/12 05:18 PM.
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by moomin
    I'm perfectly happy to hear, "My child has a 185 IQ." In that case I know what to do as a teacher, especially if I'm notified before the child becomes a behavior problem. On the other hand, being told in December that the reason a child has just done something egregious is that he or she is just. so. gifted...

I don't have an IQ score yet on my son (I have an upcoming meeting where I will get some information not sure how helpful it will be, will probably seek out additional private testing). But at the beginning of the school year I asked for a parent teacher conference and brought in a shopping bag with a good sampling of the books that my son read over the summer (which was over a book a day and he also was very active in his sport over the summer so he wasn't sitting around reading all day long). And they (he has two teachers) didn't give me the usual bull that I get from teachers "yes but did he comprehend all these books 4 grade levels above 2nd grade?? and that is why we are going to completely ignore what you are telling us" instead they listened and responded by making appropriate accomodations...(didn't hurt that both of them are taking classes to become gifted certified and later they told me that my ds is the poster child for the gifted child and they are trying out everything they learn in class on him).

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    B
    B
    See, an IQ is only sort of helpful to me, in the same way that having a diagnosis of autismis, or a point spread in an evaluation for specific learning disability is helpful.

Assuming I worked in a district that does right by gifted kids, I'd want to know what their passions are (even if fleeting), what their strengths are both in terms of scores and in their own perception. I'd want to know what their challenges were in terms of work habits, planning, organization, peer relationships, etc. I'd want to know what they find deadly boring.

After all that, I think I might be ready to write a plan for them.

A
    A
    IMO, the most valuable statement in the OP's article was the third-party comment about labels being a "diagnostic" tool useful in securing access to services. My view is that even the HG/PG/EG labels are still only a broad snapshot of capability, with little insight into gestalt, where talents and motivations lie, etc. Funnily, it seems the most gifted children are the ones who don't cling to labels. After all, was Marie Curie just "a chemist"?

I also wonder to what extent self-serving bias is colouring the teacher's assessments of her HG+ students.

Last edited by aquinas; 12/27/12 07:57 PM.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    K
    K
    This blog article is exactly why I have sat paralyzed and doing nothing for my DD8. Every time I try to approach the possibility of her being gifted at school, the administrator and teachers make me feel like Alexis' mom, even though my daughter DOES score 99% on the NWEA in Kindy, 1st, 2nd, and now 3rd. And is self accelerated in reading, math, language arts, etc... It is a shame that parents of intelligent children should be made to feel like morons for trying to advocate for their kids to be able to have the academic advantages that they deserve.

Last edited by kelly0523; 12/27/12 08:58 PM.
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM