Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 410 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by Dude
    It sounds like the girl in the OP was having a perfectly natural reaction to someone she had never met touching her in an unwelcome manner.

I agree. I'll add that I think this sense of personal boundaries is quite mature and appropriate. I remember hating being infantilized as a child.

Agreed.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    I think it is good for kids to have a sense of stranger danger. I am a believer in giving children their space, and they shouldn't be forced to give affection when they don't want to. I also let my son ignore strangers when they talk to him. It's hard to enforce "don't talk to strangers", but them make them to be polite to certain ones. I have even told people off who keep on talking to my son after I explain that he doesn't talk to strangers.

Anyway, your daughter sounds like she was having a normal, mature reaction to someone making her feel uncomfortable.

L
    L
    A good resource to investigate is "The Out-of-Sync Child" by Carol Stock Kranowitz. It's a fast, parent-friendly read describing sensory issues, which are common in gifted children. My oldest has sensory issues - she is a mix of sensory seeking and sensory avoidant. What you describe - a strong dislike of someone who somehow invades one's sensory "space," being loud, smearing paint all over oneself - is common with children who struggle with sensory issues.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM