|
|
|
0 members (),
118
guests, and
90
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
S |
M |
T |
W |
T |
F |
S |
|
|
|
1
|
2
|
3
|
4
|
5
|
|
6
|
7
|
8
|
9
|
10
|
11
|
12
|
|
13
|
14
|
15
|
16
|
17
|
18
|
19
|
|
20
|
21
|
22
|
23
|
24
|
25
|
26
|
|
27
|
28
|
29
|
30
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,181
Member
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,181 |
Lugh, you are definitely an alien who belongs in this forum! I hope you'll stick around and discuss things here!
Have you considered joining a think tank? I don't know how one applies, but it couldn't hurt to try.
Add me to the list of people who learned even more about how much I don't belong when I had kids. I cry when I even think about having to hang out and talk to "those moms", otherwise known as the PTA moms. It's high school all over again. Ain't that the truth...
Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
Junior Member
|
Junior Member
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 43 |
I always felt like an alien too, though I have been somewhat fortunate that for the most part I have been the only person who didn't notice I was smart (some complicated family circumstances meant school was never a focus and I never did terribly well). Once I found out dd was HG+ some kindly people suggested this should not come as a surprise. Apparently the blank stares I used to get during conversation were because people had no idea how to respond - not because they were dumbfounded by my stupidity. Nor were people deliberately making poor decisions, or trying to incite me with poorly thought out ideas - they simply couldn't foresee or understand the consequences of what they proposed. This was a revelation and has made much more tolerant. Unfortunately I didn't figure any of it out until my 30s, when I had dd. Having dd didn't make me feel less if an alien, but it has helped me understand why I am one. There is a beautiful piece on the issues experienced by gifted adults. I think it's quite well known, so apologies if it has been posted here before: http://www.sengifted.org/archives/articles/can-you-hear-the-flowers-sing-issues-for-gifted-adults
Last edited by Nerdnproud; 11/25/12 12:43 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 978
Member
|
Member
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 978 |
Huh. (I wonder if the moms I chat with are also gifted?) Maybe that's the difference... Ours is a small school, too. Small and welcoming, and universally accepting.
Last edited by CCN; 11/25/12 02:17 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,007
Member
|
Member
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,007 |
Lots of moms have problems with PTA types. It's part of the nature of the school system.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 978
Member
|
Member
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 978 |
Lots of moms have problems with PTA types. It's part of the nature of the school system. Ahhhh... (yes!! lightbulb). The whole PTA thing is VERY political. For some reason I don't feel affected by it. It's part of the "in my own world" detachment, I guess. I think that's why I can connect without getting caught up... as soon as things get political I feel myself "unhooking." (a.k.a. I don't really care)
Last edited by CCN; 11/25/12 03:49 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,181
Member
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,181 |
Well, though, high school felt exactly like that to me, as well.
Ahhhh.... your lips are still moving... how curious... I don't even need to participate for you to enjoy 'conversing' about this...
Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 978
Member
|
Member
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 978 |
High school... meh. What a waste of time that was.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,007
Member
|
Member
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,007 |
High school... meh. What a waste of time that was. I think that my life peaked in high school (really middle school), so I can relate to people who say that was the best time of their lives. Everything since then has been pretty miserable.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|