Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Val Offline
    I understand the OP's frustration. My kids have also been estimated to death.

From what I've seen, the problem isn't that they have to estimate per se; I agree with Iucounu that this is an important skill. The problem is the way it's taught, which results in the kids having to "learn" stuff that they don't really have to learn. So, for example, they learn "front end estimating" and "cluster estimating" and rounding. Plus, they have to drill down and learn how to estimate answers (say a sum) by rounding the addends to the nearest hundred, ten, one, tenth, hundredth, thousandth, etc.

What frustrates me is that each act of estimating is taught as a discrete idea. It would all be a lot easier if they were taught the basic principles and shown how it all fits together.

Actually, I think that this problem is a fundamental problem in US math education. Stuff is taught as discrete ideas, and few if any attempts are made at showing kids patterns in mathematics, why stuff works, and that so many things are interconnected.

Last edited by Val; 11/08/12 11:28 AM. Reason: Clarity
    U
    U
    Just curious, epoh--how are they even estimating those problems if they don't have multiplication tables memorized yet? Do they make them draw tens blocks or something tedious?

I think the key thing is that they shouldn't be estimating things to which they can calculate the exact answer (reasonably in the circumstances) when they first start estimating at least.

Ding ding ding! Yeah.

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The teacher gave them a printout of the times tables and they use it as a 'reference' sheet.

I've been thinking about working on helping him memorize them at home, but my work's been a bit crazy lately, not getting home until 6pm or later, so nothing's happened yet.

~amy
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM