Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 253 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Z
    Z
    Didn't mean it as a way to judge teachers, but as a way of judging the intention of the school. If the school really is trying to accomodate gifted students, then they'd have their teachers get certifications.

O
    O
    Then again, I've seen plenty of schools who hire GT teachers with certifications, however, administration having no understanding of GT education completely mandates the program and ties the hands of those teachers who are certified to do their job in a fitting manner. It takes both teachers with knowledge to serve GT well and an administration that lets them do so.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    Then again, I've seen plenty of schools who hire GT teachers with certifications, however, administration having no understanding of GT education completely mandates the program and ties the hands of those teachers who are certified to do their job in a fitting manner. It takes both teachers with knowledge to serve GT well and an administration that lets them do so.

We've been seeing this a lot this year. It's discouraging when the GT teacher dubs the mandated curriculum "an inch deep and a mile wide" and complains that the pacing guide makes it difficult to meet the needs of her students. She said it is an issue both when they need to go faster AND when they need to take some extra time on a topic. Grr!

Originally Posted by Old Dad

My DD's school district hires GT educators, then doesn't listen to a word they say when it comes to GT instruction. All the real decisions are made by administrators who know nothing about giftedness.

So basically, they hire some teachers, give them some instructional time with some kids, and then say, "we cn haz gifted porgram!"

Does the local PTA run the enrichment program like an old boys club?

Wow. Moomin, I had no idea that you and I lived in the same area. wink

Well, probably not since we just have the one uni and our 'enrichment' starts at grade 4, but the numbers two and three employers are a fortune 25 high tech company and a regional medical center, and I think that our terminal degree rate is something close to 30%, which explains why the number of children "identified" as G&T is also about 30%.

I get the chipper "all of our instruction is enriched" line a lot around here. Now, they do produce a fair number of national merit scholars and the like, so are the numbers of MG kids probably pretty high? Absolutely.

PG, though, evidently stands for Persona non Grata. Go figure. smirk

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM