Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 343 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by master of none
    He is developing horrible "coasting" habits. But at least he has a hope of social connections at this level. Each year he moves up a grade, we are sure that he should not have been in that grade any sooner than he is.

We struggle with this question: He has no social IQ but is smart. Are we going to get him to adulthood as someone with no social IQ and no academic work ethic? You would think a grade skip is a good choice, but when you have a kid who shuts down when life is too much, you tread very carefully. So we choose no skip.

I think these decisions are on a case by case basis, and that administrators should be flexible.

Thanks. That was informative. smile

It's a tough decision either way, made worse by inflexibility on the part of schools, which is driven in part by perpetuation of myths like the one in Motherlode.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Digressing, there is a kid in DD's class (a gifted class but the bar is 90% on the OLSAT if you are a sibling and siblings get first shot).
    Ren

I have not heard of sibling preference for gifted programs before and do not approve of them, especially in public schools.

U
    U
    DD's gifted program offers sibling preference, but the sib has to test in at the same level as everyone else. The preference comes in because qualified sibs get a spot automatically and don't have to go through the lottery. Since there really isn't a reasonable bus system for the magnet (DD would have to ride more than an hour to get to a school about 4 miles away--insanity) and all elementaries start at the same time, I feel quite grateful that they have this in place.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DD's gifted program offers sibling preference, but the sib has to test in at the same level as everyone else. The preference comes in because qualified sibs get a spot automatically and don't have to go through the lottery. Since there really isn't a reasonable bus system for the magnet (DD would have to ride more than an hour to get to a school about 4 miles away--insanity) and all elementaries start at the same time, I feel quite grateful that they have this in place.

If there are more children who exceed a test threshold than there are available spots in a gifted program, the threshold can simply be raised to match the number of spots. The highest-IQ kids should be the ones who can most benefit from a gifted program.

Val Offline
    I can see the rationale for sibling preference if the sibling meets the entrance requirements. Having two kids at two different elementary schools can be a huge pain for everyone.

Unfortunately, entry requirements can be very fuzzy, especially if they include teacher recommendations and low test score minima. A school around here sets the test score bar around the 70th percentile (a.k.a. "high average") and puts a lot of weight on teacher recommendations.

U
    U
    The requirements here are pretty simple--IQ is the main one. No teacher recs or achievement testing. Grades play a small part.

I sort of see the point about favoring the highest IQs, but I really don't think I could deal with 2 kids at different elementaries.

Last edited by ultramarina; 10/15/12 02:07 PM.
    N
    N
    I think too that a skip can appear failed if the environment is wrong. My daughter was skipped in a school that simply didn't support her. She continued to be extremely socially isolated and anxious and the school decided this was because of immaturity and felt the skip had failed. We moved schools, retaining the skip, and it has been hugely successful. In part because the school is much more responsive her needs, but also because more of the kids suit her personality. Given our experience I sometimes wonder how often well considered skips (at least, well considered from the parent's side) appear failed when really it's just that a skip in itself isn't enough - it needs to be supported and the culture needs to suit your child from the outset.

Last edited by Nerdnproud; 10/15/12 02:45 PM.
    M
    M
    My wife skipped two years and I skipped one. Neither of us think of it positively. She wasn't academically ready for a two year skip.

Looking back, I am against my skip because I was relatively small in my early teen years, and I was not competitive in sports. I think this physical aspect is something that parents should seriously consider, beyond the is my child intelligent and sufficiently social.

We have chosen not to skip our children. We are fortunate that my children attend a fantastic school system (a recent Davidson Fellow was from our school system). While DD could handle a one year skip, and DS probably needs a 4-year skip, we have chosen to keep in them in their normal grades and supplement through programs like CTY and AOPS.

I would have liked to have been skipped, but it was vetoed by my parents.

I was small in my early teen years and not competitive in sports. I was never going to be competitive in sports because I have two basic skills, endurance and accuracy. Which would make me a good biathlete, I suppose.

I wasn't particularly socially functional in the first place, so I wasn't going to lose what I didn't have by being skipped.

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    For instance, a kid with two of the above listed traits: high IQ kid & high achievement in most subjects, but who has Asperger's & would, thus, likely be fairly weak in the area of social maturity. I've seen kids like this skipped and they suffered terribly socially.

Would the kid have still suffered socially without the skip?
    This isn't my kid, so hard to say, but you're probably correct that this is a kid who is going to have a hard time socially anyway. I bring it up more as a point that, without the accompanying weakness in the social realm, I've seen absolutely no negative social impact to being much younger. My skipped kid is a young 14 y/o 10th grader. Middle school went unbelievably well socially. She was truly happy and had a ton of friends so we certainly didn't see any of the horrible social disaster that the blogger seemed to imply would occur in middle school and beyond.

Agree completely.

My DD is a 13yo 11th grader, and she is happy and has friends from 13yo (several of them gradeskipped 9th graders) to classmates who are typically 16-18yo. Kids are such a range of maturities during adolescence that this really-- no, REALLY-- isn't the big deal that administrators seem to think that it is.

DD often feels as though she doesn't belong anywhere-- but she does just fine by regarding her childhood as a time of tourism... and not living "at home" as it were. Her closest cognitive peers are also her closest friends. I think that this is not coincidence, by any means.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM