Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    E
    Apples-- In your thread the other day I voiced my opinion that I did not believe your DD to necessarily be speech delayed, but I guess I was in the minority. I also believed that by its definition in the DSM IV a child with a speech delay could not be diagnosed with Asperger's. But, then I cam across this,

Asperger's and delayed speech

which claims 50% of kids with Asperger's were speech delayed. So, now I'm just confused. I really thought Asperger's was characterized by advanced early speech.

Also in the article linked above they mentioned gestures. I thought that might interest you.

Between 12 and 24 months, reasons for concern include a youngster who:

• has difficulty understanding simple verbal requests
    • has trouble imitating sounds by 18 months
    • isn't using gestures, such as pointing or waving bye-bye by 12 months
    • prefers gestures over vocalizations to communicate by 18 months

Of course, then there is the new DSM coming out next spring that is supposed to roll Aspergers into a general ASD diagnosis. FWIW I did not like the blog post. I just took it as one individual's account of living with Asperger's. It is not diagnostic criteria. I'd much prefer to read the DSM.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ellemenope
    I also believed that by its definition in the DSM IV a child with a speech delay could not be diagnosed with Asperger's. But, then I cam across this,

Asperger's and delayed speech

which claims 50% of kids with Asperger's were speech delayed. So, now I'm just confused. I really thought Asperger's was characterized by advanced early speech.

Different doctors behave differently with regard to this issue, which is one reason why autism, PDD-NOS, and Asperger's are all going to be called autism in the next DSM.

FWIW, the definition of Asperger's that seems to be most consistent across doctors is "autism without impairment in IQ." That is, autism without comorbid mental retardation.

DeeDee

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    CCN, I recall vividly feeling awkward and painfully excluded from social interactions as a child, too. I think, though-- and thought even then (correctly, I'm pretty sure) that this was largely the result of asynchrony. I presumed that it would disappear in adulthood. It has. In retrospect, much of being not socially adroit is a function of childhood, and GT children often have age-inappropriate opportunities to put our feet in our mouths in much more spectacular/obvious fashion than our NT peers. KWIM?

Yup smile Asynchrony could definitely be the culprit. Particularly since I don't think a spectrum profile is something you outgrow, although you could certainly evolve and change.

Islandofapples: How pronounced are your DD's spectrum traits, and how delayed is her speech? A language disorder can delay speech quite a bit... I wonder if it's something like that?

Last edited by CCN; 10/07/12 02:19 PM.
    I
    I
    My understanding is that Aspergers may have high levels of vocabulary and speech but the delay is in the pragmatic aspect of speech. That is, they are not delayed and even advanced (often highly advaniced) in speaking and in vocabulary but they can not converse. Rather "talk at" people - go on and on about things no one else is interested in with no "back and forth".

M
    M
    Marytheres, my DD was normal to advanced in speech development, I had no idea she was delayed in language (I had no idea what the development of speech/language was supposed to be like or that there were two distinct parts from an expert view). She is in the process of being diagnosed with Aspergers.

I
    I
    Yes, there are definitely two aspects - pragmatic language is a big factor in diagnosing aspergers and, I believe, even in diagnosing PDD-NOS... Good luck with daughters evals, MumofThree!

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by marytheres
    My understanding is that Aspergers may have high levels of vocabulary and speech but the delay is in the pragmatic aspect of speech. That is, they are not delayed and even advanced (often highly advaniced) in speaking and in vocabulary but they can not converse. Rather "talk at" people - go on and on about things no one else is interested in with no "back and forth".

To compound confusion... that seems to describe 80% of the people I encounter on a daily basis.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner

To compound confusion... that seems to describe 80% of the people I encounter on a daily basis.

LOL - maybe you are in a high aspergers area! I do not encounter people like this often and so when I do it's really very obvious to me.

E
    E
    Great point about "medical student syndrome". Even as an extrovert, I clearly remember plenty of isolated, socially awkward, and misfitting times. I think it's important to recognize that aspegers presents in non-gifted and seemingly extroverted people also. Another very identifiable feature (not always but extremely common) is the intense area of interest that becomes obsessive and inflexible. The interests are not socially typical for age but also beyond a wanting to learn about things like a giftie. I've seen kids with obsessions with keys, movie jacket intros, the history of firearms, and buttons. Of course there are some typical areas (Harry Potter, Pokemon, Building Blocks) but the obsession often morph into less pleasure seeking to descreasing anxiety when not able to engage in interest.

I do appreciate her perspective. Her well-penned description certainly seem to reasonate with many.

Z
    Z
    LOL - maybe you are in a high aspergers area! I do not encounter people like this often and so when I do it's really very obvious to me.

I wish it was that. Most people don't really pay attention. Conversations are fluffed with "go ahead and keep talking, but I'm not really paying attention" phrases. Real listening is uncommon as is attuned conversation. Criss-cross soliloquy is the norm.

The bad thing for gifted folks with typical social skills is that their interests may not encompass the nodding awareness topics like sport statistics, weather, fotm TV, gossip, etc. So, what is really just an interest mismatch is read as a skill deficit.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM