Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 233 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    The way I look at it, if the requirements for admissions of a college aren't what you think they should be, then perhaps it's time to start looking at another college. Matching the person with the college is extremely important for success in college as well.

But many kids have no concept of even thinking in these terms. They've been conditioned to believe that this is what they're supposed to be doing. Therefore, it is a good match.

They don't even start to figure stuff out until much later. If they figure it out at all. I wonder how many unhappy youngish adults we have who don't even perceive the roots of their problems, much less understand them.

O
    O
    Originally Posted by Val
    But many kids have no concept of even thinking in these terms. They've been conditioned to believe that this is what they're supposed to be doing. Therefore, it is a good match.

They don't even start to figure stuff out until much later. If they figure it out at all. I wonder how many unhappy youngish adults we have who don't even perceive the roots of their problems, much less understand them.

That's what parental guidance is for.

Last edited by Old Dad; 08/29/12 02:13 PM.
    Originally Posted by Val

That's what parental guidance is for.

The problem is that this is *caused* by parental guidance.

O
    O
    It seems everyone is looking for the silver bullet here. There isn't one so long as humans aren't perfect in their judgment. If parents don't guide, there can be a problem, if they guide too much, it's a problem, if they guide slightly off base due to lack of experience or not understanding "The system" or their child, it's a problem. If the colleges don't cater to somebody's idea of what is "fair" for college entrance then it's a problem. See why this subject matter is a problem? As I told my kids when they were young, "Everybody poops"

The system isn't perfect, we don't make the system though nor are we likely to change it. So the best way to deal with it is to find out where in the system we fit in best or simply not to play the game and land where we might. It's each person's choice.

Val Offline
    It seems everyone is looking for the silver bullet here. ...
    The system isn't perfect, we don't make the system though nor are we likely to change it. So the best way to deal with it is to find out where in the system we fit in best or simply not to play the game and land where we might. It's each person's choice.

Sounds a bit like an excuse to stop thinking about the problem ignore the status quo. smile

Debate and criticism are healthy and help us see problems. Not to mention the fact that people who aren't wealthy are at a big disadvantage in this game. Our society talks about fixing SES-related problems, but doesn't seem to want to actually find meaningful solutions.

Originally Posted by Val
    Not to mention the fact that people who aren't wealthy are at a big disadvantage in this game.

The Ideal Overprogrammed Non-Introspective Young Adult problem is actually only possible when you have enough wealth to run the program at a high level to create the Perfect Shiny Resume(TM)

Kind of counterintuitive, isn't it?

O
    O
    Originally Posted by Val
    It seems everyone is looking for the silver bullet here. ...

Sounds a bit like an excuse to stop thinking about the problem ignore the status quo. smile

Debate and criticism are healthy and help us see problems. Not to mention the fact that people who aren't wealthy are at a big disadvantage in this game. Our society talks about fixing SES-related problems, but doesn't seem to want to actually find meaningful solutions.

To be honest, I don't think there is a problem. What I think is that many are expecting whatever college they apply to should cater to their thought pattern of fair admissions and if their application wasn't enough, then the college's admissions process if flawed. I don't see it that way, I see it as a poor fit......and that's what the admissions process if for, seeing if the student and college are a good fit. Process successful!

To be honest, I don't think there is a problem. What I think is that many are expecting whatever college they apply to should cater to their thought pattern of fair admissions and if their application wasn't enough, then the college's admissions process if flawed.

I thought that we were talking about the problem of flooding the world with unhappy Ivy League Automata, meaning those who actually got into the Ivy League (or other elite schools, MIT, etc.).

Z
    Z
    Hmm... college, SES, and parental guidance... I wish I had guided my parents more relating to college and particularly costs.

This thread made me think there should be a market for a book on preparing for college aimed towards gifted youngsters who need to educate their parents (and themselves) on the subject particularly as 1st generation college bound. Google is my friend...
    http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/nrcgt/reports/rm93201/rm93201.html

Looks like a really cool resource.

O
    O
    Thanks Zen, I'll make sure to pass that link along!

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM