Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    D
    Back to the iPad. I'm not sure what a Powertouch is, but we love our iPads. My son will be three in October. Just in the last three weeks he taught himself all of the states and capitals of the USA, and all of the countries in the world. He learned this from the iPad. It also helped him to write. He can spell and write all of his states. He can even spell and write most of the countries in the world. He knows how to write lower case and upper case letters. He learned this from the iPad. It also helped him learn how to read. He can probably read at a second grade level. It is extremely easy to work on. No stylus. Really automatic and intuitive for children. The IPad has so many different applications. You can work on reading, writing, spelling, puzzles, flash cards, or just about anything you can think of. My first two children are extremely bright, probably gifted. The iPad didn't exist when they were toddlers. My youngest is far more advanced than my other two children. I really think his iPad helped him to get there. If the cost is an issue, you can always look for an older one on EBay. Good luck.

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    The Powertouch is an old style reading system for kids with actual books that react to touch ... seems a little like a Leapfrog Tag reader but more fun and a lot easier to read. I like the idea of it using actual books since he loves to browse through books and turn all pages ... just doesn't want me around for it! smile

I have a 10" android that works ok and I have some apps in it but I find the screen be really hard to use. It just doesn't react easily and drives ME crazy so I can't imagine the boys using it with any ease. It's an off brand one that I got about a year and half ago and is usable just not great. So I am considering iPad at some point. I'm just such a Windows person ... I can't make myself use anything else! But I guess it's time for change! My older one is well above his age level at many areas too but quite behind in fine motor skills so I'm sure iPad would be great for him too. Plus he NEVER stops asking questions so maybe iPad would curb his curiosity a little? mommy's brain needs time off sometimes too!!!

D
    D
    I was a Windows guy myself. I could never understand why those "Apple Fans" felt so strongly about their products. About 1 1/2 years ago my wife and I needed a new cell phone. We wanted one that took great pictures. The IPhone had the best camera, so we each got one. Not to sound corny, but that phone changed our life. It was so easy to use, and it just made sense. Fast forward a 1 1/2 and now we have an IPod touch and 3 iPads. I also plan on getting an IMac this fall. It seems I have become one of those "Apple Fans". I thought they were crazy, now I'm one of them.

As far as giving a parent a break, there is no better tool. I am a firm believer in providing my children with productive tools. I do not like them to watch too much television. I was never one of those parents to just put on a video so I could have some time to myself. I was always too worried that the television wasn't good for them. Instead, I'll give them an iPad. I even try to limit that throughout the day. But at least the iPad is very productive. We got our first iPad last Christmas. It has been the best thing that I ever bought any of my children. It's like a thousand different devises in one. My youngest son was around 26 months old when we to our first one. The first day he picked it up, it was as if he had played it before. It was really amazing. It has been like having a personal tutor with us whenever we need one. He reads better than my five year old. He writes as good as she does. He knows more geography than my gifted 7 year old. I wish I could say its because of his "great" parents, but it's actually because of his private tutor, the iPad. I would reccommend it to anyone with young children. Even my 5 and 7 year old are doing great things with it. Although they do play some games on it on occasion. I hate to sound like those "Apple Fans" , but it really has helped our young children get a huge head start in life. Good luck.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM