Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    To follow up, I talked to my son's OT today about my concerns. She is going to do weekly HWT with him as a part of his OT at our house. I like this idea for two reasons. One, it might help him. Two, if we seek an assessment later it will be a good source of "improvement over time" information. She keeps weekly notes.

As I mentioned earlier, her kids go to my son's school and she teaches yoga there. She will do yoga with my son's class once a week and plans to keep an eye on him in the K classroom. Her son had a hard time in K and in first because of an imbalance between working on weaknesses and strengths. She doesn't want to see it repeated with my son so she is going to be my spy.:)

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    One month of kindergarten complete and everyone is calling it a successful month! There was a bit of a social bump mid month but that has resolved itself. (see Consequences of being Annoying thread) One thing that could use improvement is less avoidance of letter and number work. His teacher wants him to do more worksheets, workbook and writing activities. She wants at least two of these a day. His OT and I thought a visual task sheet he could look at and have marked off with each completion would help him. I am thinking I could give a reward for daily completion of two or weekly completion of ten or both.
    I am trying to figure out how to make such a sheet. It isn't all just worksheets and stuff that can be stapled and given to him in a packet. It might be a math manipulative thing the teacher has to check when he is done or tracing a leaf and labeling the parts.
    I am thinking about taking pics of the ten tasks the week before and printing them all on one sheet of paper he can take to school the following week. Then he can see everything that needs to be done and mark them off as they are complete. Overkill?

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Another question, I understand that avoidance of letter and number work can be a dyslexia clue at five. How can you tell if a kid is avoiding the work because it is unusually difficult because of a LD or if it is just because they would rather do something else? The debate being "Perhaps, the avoidance is due to a learning disability" v. "Perhaps, he is willful and just isn't trying hard enough".

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM