Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 130 guests, and 100 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Dr. Amend and Dr. Webb talk about just this subject in the following interview:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thecoffeeklatch/2012/05/14/bright-not-broken--twice-exceptional-kids

They do say that gifted kids have these 'sensual' issues at higher rates... I also found it interesting that they say something along the line that allergies are much more highly prevalent among the gifted... Anyway, just some docs weighing in on the subject - not sure how "right" they are or what the actual research says.

Last edited by marytheres; 08/19/12 06:50 AM.
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I dunno.... the more I think about it... my sweet beagle *was* smart - what if she *was* PG and I never recognized it?

If that is the case.... my whippets must be PG as well, as all three of them puke their guts up the minute we pull out of the driveway. LOL!!

DS3 was assessed by an OT just two weeks ago. We brushed off the issues with tags in clothing for a while. And he pushed people away when they tried to hug or touch him because he liked his space. It was the panic attack-type reactions to loud noises that finally convinced us something was amiss. We had to buy him a set of earmuffs made for drummers so that he could do A Day out with Thomas (his obsession since 9 months of age). He loves trains more than anything, but he cannot stand the whistles. Nor, hairdryers or electric razors or coffee grinders. Nor, loud applause or noisy restaurants or stores, etc. When we actually started to make a list, it was quite an eye opener. We had stopped taking him to so many places because he 'acted out' there. Here is the kicker: when he put the earmuffs on for the first time he said, "This is what I have always needed!!" He was finally able to identify that noises upset him. The hard part now? Convincing him not to wear them 24/7!

The OT said that, no question, he has sensory issues. We are meeting with her this week to start the sensory diet. We are really keen to get things rolling while he is still in preschool. Some of his issues have gotten better as he gets older (the tags and the hugging), but some are getting worse (the noise). I can't bear to think what would happen to him during the first fire drill in grade primary. We need to help him cope or, at the very least, identify his triggers so they can be communicated to his teachers when he starts school next year.

If you search online, you can find checklists for Sensory Integration Disorder. This is what led us to seek an OT's help.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs