Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    http://www.nasfaa.org/Main/fa-news/natl/For_Those_Without_High-School_Diplomas,_Federal_Student_Aid_Comes_to_an_End.aspx

For Those Without High-School Diplomas, Federal Student Aid Comes to an End

"They're part of the 1 percent, but not the kind with a private jet and country-club membership," the Chronicle of Higher Education reports. "They're the relatively small population of students who don't have a high-school diploma but are relying on federal aid to attend college. For them, life might be getting more challenging. That's because starting July 1, students without a diploma or GED will no longer be eligible to receive federal student aid. Over the past two decades such students, who are disproportionately minorities and from low-income families, have been able to receive federal aid for college, without a high-school diploma or its equivalent, by demonstrating their "ability to benefit" from higher education. They could prove such ability by taking a basic-skills test, or by completing six credits or 225 clock hours of college work. But late last year, Congress tightened the eligibility requirements for student aid as it sought to pay for a growing Pell Grant program while maintaining the maximum Pell award level."

More details are at http://www.clasp.org/admin/site/publications/files/Ability-to-Benefit-FAQs.pdf/ . The policy takes effect on July 1, 2012.

Gifted students were not being thought of when this rule was made, and they may suffer collateral damage. I don't think students who lack a high school diploma or GED and who also do poorly on the SAT and ACT should get federal subsidies for college. But there are gifted students who are ready to attend college (as demonstrated by their academic record, including standardized test scores) before getting a diploma. It sounds like the new rules would exclude them. I think a sufficient SAT or ACT score should be allowed as a substitute for a diploma or GED in qualifying for federal aid.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Ouch.

I'd heard rumors about this from friends with the Academy as long ago as winter 2010, so this isn't a huge surprise to me... though I have to say, it really hamstrings GT students in my state, since they have no WAY to earn a G.E.D. prior to becoming 18 years old. :sigh:

I think that as well, Bostonian, but apparently nobody thought to take a close look at just who such a policy will impact disproportionately; PG children from families with modest or lower-than-average income levels, who are now "trapped" because they have at-risk children unserved by public high schools which act as the gateway (and a barrier) to what they need. Nice. frown

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    Sounds as though what's needed there is a banner - such as Davidson's. I get the impression that Davidson's isn't a heavyweight organisation with an employee who would do that - though maybe someone knows differently - but could those of you with DYS children write a joint letter that you'd all sign and get permission to send it on DYS letterhead or similar, to alert legislators to the unintended consequence of what they're doing?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    C
    C
    That's going to be a real problem for Mary Baldwin's PEG program kids. That was our backup consideration should dd13 still find that she's not liking high school after giving it one more year. Without financial aid, private school tuition for a program like that will be nearly impossible and I understand that the school itself is usually not able to offer enough financial aid to make it reasonable in terms of cost.

Val Offline
    It's possible to apply for a waiver (google GED age waiver).

You could always lie about the student's age, too. Once s/he has the GED, you'll have satisfied the requirements of one set of bureaucrats, who hopefully won't get in touch with the other set of bureaucrats.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Val

You could always lie about the student's age, too. Once s/he has the GED, you'll have satisfied the requirements of one set of bureaucrats, who hopefully won't get in touch with the other set of bureaucrats.
    So, essentially kids who want to attend programs like PEG and get federal financial aid will need to get a GED age waiver and pass the GED test first rather than just forgoing a high school diploma/GED?

That sounds feasible but it just adds one extra step.

eta: in double checking that for my state, I find that anyone under age 16 is not eligible for a GED age waiver. Typically one has to be 17 to take the GED exam, but 16 y/os can apply for an age waiver. My dd won't be 17 even if she graduates on time. Should she want to do a program like PEG that allows her to skip part of high school, there is no way she can get a GED before that. She is, therefore, disqualified from getting financial aid for an early entrance program.

Last edited by Cricket2; 06/27/12 03:03 PM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Originally Posted by Val

So, essentially kids who want to attend programs like PEG and get federal financial aid will need to get a GED age waiver and pass the GED test first rather than just forgoing a high school diploma/GED?

That sounds feasible but it just adds one extra step.

Googling GED Age Waiver, the first link states

"You need to be 19 years of age to take an official GED (high school equivalency) Test in the state of Minnesota. If you are 16, 17, or 18 years old, you will need to apply for and obtain an age waiver from the MN Department of Education. This age waiver gives you permission to take the test before you are 19 years old."

There are gifted students 15 years old and even younger who belong in college. The NAGC should ask Congress to amend the law in the way I suggested earlier, allowing SAT or ACT scores as substitutes for the GED.

Studies have found that GED holders more closely resemble high school dropouts than graduates in outcomes. It does not certify much. I think that as an alternative to the current GED test, passing scores on the ACT and SAT should be defined for a GED.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    R
    R
    lists eligibility requirements as diploma, GED, or home schooled.

So, this continues keeping homeschool diplomas at parity with those of government schools. This could be another factor pushing gifted families towards homeschooling if they want or need to radically accelerate.

Val Offline
    Yes, the minimum-of-16 requirement was why I also mentioned lying. And yes, the situation is ridiculous, and IMO is evidence of disregard for HG+ kids as a group.

Raptor_dad, good point: create a private school in your own home, issue a diploma, and move on!

C
    C
    Dragging this back up...

So I posted a question to PEG on their FB page after this came up to ask what it meant for their students. It took them a while to reply, but they responded that it won't affect PEG students and that they'll still qualify for federal financial aid. Seeing as how none of their students have high school diplomas or GEDs, I'm not sure how that is, but they have not yet responded to my response asking if their kids get waivers or what.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM