Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 377 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Food education has also been beneficial for my kids. Knowing that eating green things will help my son get muscles actually makes a difference for him. He will often finish his meal, and come to me and inform me that he didn't actually care for, say, the spinach, tonight, but he ate it all so he can be healthy, lol.

~amy
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    ... not always, though. I agree that food pickiness that has no rhyme or reason to it, and seems to wax/wane with a desire for attention is probably in that category. However--

I'd be a very wealthy woman if I had a dollar for every person I've met who thought that their child was just being "stubborn" regarding food preferences...

only to find out that the child had true IgE-mediated allergies confirmed by a board-certified physician, and occasionally for which epinephrine was prescribed. eek

In some cases, these children were actually saving their own lives by refusing to eat particular foods.

The most common offenders in this context, by the way, are:

nuts, fish/seafood, mustard/seeds, eggs, and milk.

Very seldom are children truly allergic to fruits or vegetables, or to food additives. My suggestion to parents of very picky eaters is to ask the child to describe the BASIS for the aversion. Descriptions of metallic tastes, itching, or extreme 'bad' smell are red flags. I have a shellfish allergy; believe me when I say that shrimp cocktail smells to me like the local landfill in August. I realize that it doesn't smell that way to others-- but my body seems to know that shrimp is the smell of death for me.

Intolerances are another matter; and gluten-based foods, preservatives/dyes, sulfites, and dairy products top that particular list.

Seriously, though; if your family has evidence of atopic conditions (asthma, allergies, or eczema), and especially if you've seen any of those things in the child in question, it might do to make note of particular food aversions.

We never make food a power struggle. Ever. My husband and I both were forced to eat food allergens as children. Our parents felt incredibly guilty about that.

HIGH FIVES ALL AROUND!

N
    N
    I have two children who drive me to distraction ...or drink... or something... with their refusal to eat most things. I'm glad to see it's not just me! DH is also very picky, but he doesn't see how it's related.

Yes, children absolutely can love to cook but refuse to eat what they made. Isn't that nuts?

Originally Posted by Cawdor
    Originally Posted by Val
    Sorry Cawdor, you're just wrong when you presume that all intolerances are made up "intolerances."

No, you are wrong making a statement without any proof backing up .. the burden of proof is on you for saying these "intolerances" exist.

My time as an ex-Drill Instructor had me break "intolerances' from a lot of kids whose parents never had a handle on them and never took time with them and just let them do "whatever"

Teaching 17-19 year old men how to shower, shave, put clothes away, behave in public, handle money, and other basic life skills showed me what types of parenting work and what does not.

The parents of those who had a lot of "intolerances" were always amazed of what they saw after 8 weeks with myself and the other instructors.

This analogy is an absurd failure. Showering and shaving have nothing to do with eating habits, and every boot camp from every service employs a chow line where each recruit gets to employ choice in what they eat.

U
    U
    Food allergies ARE pretty weird, though. They can appear and disappear and can be grown out of long after people think they are still present. A good allergist will tell you as much. I have extremely bad environmental allergies (confirmed by skin and blood testing, and symptoms) and was tested for food allergies to see if they might be contributing, although there wasn't any strong reason to think I had any. I tested positive for dairy, soy, corn, some nuts, and a few other things as well, despite having eaten them all my life. Only one of these foods gives me any reaction (and it's mild) as far as I can determine. The rest I continue to eat and enjoy with no issue and my allergist's okay. He basically said that people do test false positive for food in the sense that you may test positive without experiencing reactions that you notice or that bother you. It isn't a perfect system by any means.

ETA: BUT! I do have oral allergy syndrome and I have avoided many RAW veggies and some fruits most of my life because of this. I like the taste of all these foods, but they produce some discomfort. I never knew what this was, but as a kid I said I "hated" melon and raw peppers and "was allergic to" pineapple because of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome
    I did not test allergic to any of these foods on a skin-prick test which goes to show...something or other.

Last edited by ultramarina; 07/05/12 02:11 PM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Val
    Sorry Cawdor, you're just wrong when you presume that all intolerances are made up "intolerances."

No, you are wrong making a statement without any proof backing up .. the burden of proof is on you for saying these "intolerances" exist.

My time as an ex-Drill Instructor had me break "intolerances' from a lot of kids whose parents never had a handle on them and never took time with them and just let them do "whatever"

Teaching 17-19 year old men how to shower, shave, put clothes away, behave in public, handle money, and other basic life skills showed me what types of parenting work and what does not.

The parents of those who had a lot of "intolerances" were always amazed of what they saw after 8 weeks with myself and the other instructors.

This analogy is an absurd failure.

But it is the reality whether you think it is absurd or not. These young soldier came in with intolerance to certain foods but after a full day of hard work ( the first they have done in their entire life 0 it was amazing how these intolerance vanished in thin air.

I have no issues with real allergies but pickiness is nothing but a power play by the child constantly testing their boundaries and their power over their environment nothing more.

DS9 - Starting 9th grade
    DS7 - Starting 5th grade
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by epoh
    My husband is a supertaster and it can be rather annoying to the rest of us, lol.

Mine too smile It's tough. He's the ULTRA picky one, I'll eat almost anything, and both kids fall somewhere in between. Dinner planning is a pain, lol

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    I see food pickiness as a play for control similar to tantrums, nothing more

Oh my gosh, no. It sounds like you weren't picky as a child (some kids aren't). I was extremely picky (I'm the opposite now - I outgrew it), and it was simply because many foods made me feel like I was going to vomit. I can still remember the feeling.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM