Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    The strange thing is that unlike a lot of kids with dyspraxia he isn't clumsy at all until he gets tired which happens faster for him than other kids. I noticed this when I watched him practicing dances in his musical theater class with other kids. The classes were two hours and he was fine for about 45 minutes and then he his fatigue would affect his performance. It was the same with handwriting and piano unless we broke it up throughout the day. He has low muscle tone and his top finger joints bend way back which causes difficulty in writing and in cutting with a knife, yet he taught himself to type and types about 60 wpm, can text very quickly on his iPhone, and had no trouble learning to take out his new contact lenses but has to do it with his left hand even though he is right handed. Actually, he seemed ambidextrous in kindergarten so we encouraged him to write only with his right hand. He often eats with his left hand.

Lori, thanks for posting about your ds - it's interesting because some of it sounds so much like my ds with dyspraxia! He doesn't look like he's really very "different" (although it sounds like he's less coordinated than your ds), but he tires easily. His finger joints also bend backwards, and even though he's always defaulted to his right hand for writing etc, he's not right-hand dominant, he's basically "no hand dominant". Like your ds, there are some fine motor things he can do a-ok with his hands, others that he is challenged with.

polarbear

Z
    Z
    Looks like a good thread to tack onto. Latest blog entry on Eide Neurolearning, references a study on dysgraphia using fMRI.

http://eideneurolearningblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/fmri-of-dysgraphia-lack-of-automaticity.html

Really illustrates that dysgraphia has a bigger impact as a lot processing is chewed up in the writing, which can reduce available processing for the actual content. I've sometimes wondered if maybe there isn't so much an underlying problem as there is a brain that just can't "mind" its own darn business.

DD10 has dyslexic dysgraphia. I ditto everything written above. For DD the earliest and most concerning sign was her outright refusal to do written work. I'm talking, writhing on the in physical pain. Her writing is terrible, she mixes capitals and lowercase. Her spelling is that of a dyslexic. She doesn't make many letter reversals, but she only uses words she thinks she can spell.

Having a typing accommodation has changed everything for her. She uses Ginger software for editing. We have tried to remediate her handwriting but had to stop because it was affecting her anxiety so badly. Now, we focus on her strengths. She is a different kid!!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    P
    P
    My DD was diagnosed with NLD (really it's an "NLD-ish" diagnosis according to the neuropsych) which included a diagnosis for dysgraphia. We are still waiting for an Assistive Technology eval but 2 days ago DD was finally provided a scribe for her classwork. At our IEP meeting the other day the OT and special ed teacher pressed the neuropsych on where to draw the line between pushing the handwriting and moving towards keyboarding. All 3 of them think that at age 7/second grade they need to continue to emphasize the handwriting. The neuropsych said introducing keyboarding now was more to start getting her ready so when it is developmentally appropriate to switch over she will have the skills for it. I told him that I believed the time to switch the emphasis has already come - I seriously doubt her handwriting will improve to the point that it will be effective for her and keyboarding will be the key to her future. I have no problem with them continuing to work on handwriting but not to the point that it takes away from developing these skills - there are only so many hours in a day and she already has so much on her plate. Any BTDT opinions here? At what age did your kids switch their focus to primarily keyboarding skills?

A
    A
    Interesting study - thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by Pemberley
    Any BTDT opinions here? At what age did your kids switch their focus to primarily keyboarding skills?

My son started keyboarding in third/fourth grade. He is now in 7th, and this is the first year he hasn't used a computer in the class. He doesn't take notes - uses the teacher's set - but writes out all his homework and class work. Output is still dramatically diminished when it comes to essays, etc., but he is working faster and hasn't needed the reduced workload accommodation thus far.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM